These Browned Butter Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins make a delicious breakfast treat.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Looks like my girls are developing a taste for baking, so when they asked if we could bake something together I thought it would be a good idea to make some muffins.
For me, this meant the muffins would have to be on the healthier side, for my girls, it meant that there would have to be some chocolate chips in them.
After some searching on the web for a chocolate chip muffin recipe, I found this simple recipe from Joy of Baking.
I've been wanting to try baking with browned butter so I adapted her recipe to include browned butter and whole wheat pastry flour and reduced the amount of sugar in the muffins.
The kitchen always gets a
bit lot messier when working with my girls but we have lots of fun. We each sampled a muffin and came to the conclusion that they were delicious!
The flavour of the browned butter really comes through in these Browned Butter Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Browned Butter Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or regular
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Stir the butter occasionally so it cooks and browns evenly. When the butter starts to smell nutty and is browned remove it from the heat, transfer it to a bowl and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture and the melted and cooled browned butter to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Don't over-mix the batter or you will have tough muffins.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling almost to the edge of the muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean about 18-20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing them and placing onto a wire rack to cool completely.