This refreshing Watermelon and Feta Salad is the perfect summertime salad. The combination of sweet, salty and tangy ingredients makes this salad entirely addictive.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
A few summers ago I tried my first watermelon salad with feta cheese and red onion and I’ve been hooked ever since. It may seem like an unusual combination of ingredients, but in fact, it’s makes for an incredibly delicious and refreshing salad.
How to make Watermelon and Feta Salad
I adapted the recipe for this Watermelon and Feta Salad from Nigella Lawson. She suggests to steep the red onions in the lime juice as you prepare the salad. I find this step really important as it mellows out the sharp flavour of the onions. But if you don’t enjoy the taste of raw onions, you could omit them and use black olives as Nigella does in her recipe.
This salad is best prepared shortly before you plan on serving it. To make four servings, you’ll need about 4 cups of cubed watermelon and one cup of cubed Feta cheese. The dressing for the salad is made by using the lime juice that was used to steep the red onions and olive oil. Fresh mint adds freshness to the salad, but if you don’t have any on hand you could use fresh basil, though the taste won’t be the same.
I think you’ll find this salad entirely addictive, as the red onion with the salty and creamy Feta cheese complement the sweet and crunchy watermelon so well. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 limes
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup cubed feta cheese
- 1/2 cup mint leaves packed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper to your taste
- Peel and thinly slice the onion, place in a small bowl.
- Juice the two limes and pour the juice over the sliced onions. Reserve.
- Remove the rind and chop the watermelon into even sized cubes (bite size is good).
- Chop the feta cheese (I like mine in small cubes).
- Wash the mint and chop coarsely.
- Assemble the salad by combining the watermelon, feta cheese, mint, olive oil and the lime juice with the onions.
- Toss the ingredients gently to combine, add ground black pepper to your taste.
Other delicious summer salads to enjoy: