Moist, tender and chocolatey, these Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins are a delicious way to start your day.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This recipe for Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins is adapted from this Chocolate Zucchini Muffins recipe. The muffins are delicious, they are made with whole wheat flour, a little fat and not too much sugar.
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
I did adapt the recipe by using only whole wheat pastry flour, increasing the amount of milk and steeping a bag of chai in it before adding the milk to the recipe.
The chai is barely noticeable but I did find it added some extra flavour. You can easily omit the chai if you don't like the taste or want to keep things simple.
Both my girls loved these moist and tender chocolatey muffins and did not notice the zucchini in them at all.
More Delicious Muffins
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chai milk hot milk steeped with one bag of tea for about 10 min and cooled to room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini squeezed to release some of the water
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Sift the cocoa and add it to the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, apple sauce, chai steeped milk, egg and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Add in the zucchini and the chocolate chips, mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix the batter or you will have tough muffins.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean about 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing them and placing onto a wire rack to cool.