Last Updated on August 1, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Melt-in-your-mouth, flavourful and buttery Espresso Cardamom Shortbread Cookies perfect for Christmas and the holiday season.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Some of my favourite seasonal recipes for this time of the year include shortbread cookies. Shortbread cookies are a timeless treat and can be found on just about every bakers' must make cookie list for Christmas and the holiday season.
With so many options possible, it wouldn't be difficult to fill a cookie tray with a variety of shortbread cookies. Shortbread cookies can be found plain made with only the essential butter, flour and sugar. Other varieties can include chopped nuts, chocolate or flavouring such as citrus or spices.
This year I'm including an espresso infused and cardamom spiced shortbread cookie on my dessert tray. Those of you familiar with Turkish coffee will understand how well these two flavours are suited to each other.
These cookies are rich with butter, perfectly tender and with a hint of cardamom they are wonderful for enjoying with (or dunking in) a cup of tea or coffee.
So if you have room for one more treat on your Christmas and holiday cookie making list then make sure to add this recipe for Espresso Cardamom Shortbread Cookies, you'll be happy you did. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Espresso Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. instant espresso
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/3 cups confectioner sugar powdered (icing) sugar
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly butter a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- Dissolve the instant espresso in the vanilla. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, cardamom and salt. Whisk and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minute. Add the confectioners' sugar, the espresso and vanilla mixture and beat until creamy.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until well combined, stopping to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl once.
- Transfer dough into pan and spread dough pressing lightly to ensure it is evenly distributed into the pan.
- Before baking, evenly cut the dough (cutting all the way-through) into 40 cookie bars. Evenly prick each cookie with a fork 3 times.
- Bake, turning the pan once after 15 minutes. Continue baking until top is dry and lightly golden about 30 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool in pan on wire rack for a few minutes and using a small knife re-cut the cookies along the lines. Let the cookies cool before removing them from pan.
- Cookies can be stored at room temperature up to 5 days. Cookies can also be stored in the freezer for later consumption.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: