If you are planning on preparing a cookie tray for this holiday season, then you’ll want to include these Powdered Sugar Almond Cookies. Nut cookies covered in powdered sugar are a holiday classic and are guaranteed to make your cookie tray look festive!
These Powdered Sugar Almond Cookies are made with ground and toasted almonds. They’re a classic and delicate cookie, and though they’re covered in icing sugar, they’re not overly sweet. You can often find a variation of these cookies served during the holidays.
This Powdered Sugar Almond Cookie recipe is so easy to make and with so few ingredients you couldn’t ask for better. This cookie is found in many parts of the world with different names and made with different nuts. If you don’t have any almonds on hand, feel free to use walnuts or pecans in their place.
- 1-1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds finely chopped*
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 tsp. pure almond extract
- 2 cups confectioner sugar icing
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground almonds, flour and finely chopped almonds. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 1/2 cup of the icing sugar until well blended and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the ground almond mixture and almond extract. Mix until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl a couple of times.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough. Shape each cookie by rolling the dough between your hands. Arrange cookies 1 inch apart onto lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for about 14-16 minutes or until bottoms are golden and tops are slightly coloured and firm to the touch.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes and then roll each one into the sifted icing sugar.
- Let the cookies cool completely and roll them in the icing sugar a second time.