Last Updated on September 19, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
These baked Sticky Hoisin-Soy Chicken Drumsticks are so incredibly delicious, easy to make and take so little preparation, that you’ll want to make this dish part of your regular weeknight dinner rotation.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This baked hoisin chicken recipe is adapted from Smitten Kitchen. Her recipe is for chicken wings. Though wings are delicious, I’m always searching for kid-friendly ideas, so I opted for chicken drumsticks.
Though I’m sure you can easily use this marinade on other chicken parts, I prefer dark meat and think drumsticks and thighs are especially delicious glazed this way.
About this Baked Hoisin Chicken
The marinade is really the star of this dish, it only has a few ingredients, but is super flavorful. The hoisin-soy-honey combination gives this baked chicken a beautiful glossy color and a sweet and salty tasting glaze which makes the drumsticks sticky and a bit messy, but finger licking good!
You probably have all the ingredients for this hoisin-soy-honey marinade at home, except maybe for the hoisin sauce which should be easy to find in the Asian section of your supermarket.
I love this recipe because it’s super easy, fast, tasty and versatile. You can serve the baked hoisin chicken with some steamed rice or some noodles and your favourite veggie and call it a meal! My family loves this recipe so much that it’s a regular at home.
Leftover cooked chicken can be refrigerated for up to 3 to 4 days. Enjoy!
Love Asian food? Check out these other Asian inspired recipes!
- Baked Thai Chicken Wings with Peanut Sauce
- Chicken and Vegetable Lettuce Bundles
- Asian Salad with Peanut Butter Dressing
- Thai Baked Salmon with Cilantro-Chili Sauce
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Sticky Hoisin-Soy Chicken Drumsticks
- 3 lbs Approximately 1.36 kilo or 10 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder optional
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne or hot sauce, optional
- toasted sesame seeds optional
- sliced green onions for garnish, optional
- Score drumsticks a couple of times with sharp knife.
- In a medium bowl add all marinade ingredients, whisk to combine and add drumsticks. Mix well to make sure that all drumsticks are well coated with marinade.
- Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes, turning chicken once.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place drumsticks on lined baking tray, pour left over sauce on chicken and bake for 15 minutes, turn pieces over and then bake for another 15 minutes or until cooked through. If you are not sure your chicken is cooked you could use a meat or instant-read thermometer to check for doness. Insert thermometer at thickest part of the drumsticks without touching the bone, a temperature of 165°F means the chicken is fully cooked.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onion if you like. Serve with rice and veggie of your choice.
- Honey-soy marinade can be prepared ahead of time, simply mix all the ingredients in a jar, give it a good shake and refrigerate until ready to use. Stir sauce before using.
- Make sure to keep the chicken drumsticks refrigerated when marinating for longer than 20 minutes.
- For variety, the marinade can be used on chicken wings and chicken breast.
- Leftover chicken can be refrigerated for up to 3 to 4 days.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: