This simple and delicious Fresh Peach and Blueberry Cake makes a delightful summer dessert and is perfect for casual entertaining.
It’s already the end of August, and in only a few weeks it will be the end of summer. But before I say goodbye to summer recipes and start baking fall desserts, I had to share this seriously delicious fresh peach and blueberry cake. The recipe is an adaptation of Ina Garten’s peach cake. Her version has pecans in it, but since I needed to keep this cake nut free I used blueberries instead. I can’t recall the last time I tried one Ina Garten’s recipes, but if all of her recipes are half as good as this cake, I need to remember to try more of them.
This cake was easy to make and so moist and tender with fresh ripe peaches and blueberries on top of a flavourful cake base. Just a little bit of cinnamon and cardamom added to both the cake and fruit adds a touch of warmth and spice to this dessert.
This cake makes an excellent brunch cake and is perfect for casual entertaining. Baking this cake in a springform pan ensures it’s easy release from the pan without the need to flip it over. I used a 9-1/2 inch pan, but anything between 9 and 10 inches should work perfectly. Go ahead and treat yourself to a slice of this fresh peach and blueberry cake, you’ll be happy you did!
Fresh Peach and Blueberry Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream at room temperature, I used full-fat
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom optional
- 2 large fresh ripe peaches peeled pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries rinsed
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom optional
- Place rack in the middle of the oven and heat oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of a 9-1/2 springform pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom (if using). Set aside.
In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and granulated sugar and beat on medium-high for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl before gradually adding the flour mixture on low-speed.
- Once the flour has been incorporated, increase the speed of the mixture and beat until batter is smooth, don't over-beat the batter.
- In a small bowl mix the peaches and blueberries with the brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Spread the batter evenly into the cake pan.
- Add the fruit to top of cake by arranging peaches in a circular pattern and scattering the blueberries in the gaps.
- Bake for approximately 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool cake on wire rack for 10 minutes before running a knife along the side and releasing the cake.
- Serve the cake at room temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
More summer cakes you might like: