This simple and delicious Fresh Peach and Blueberry Cake makes a delightful summer dessert and is perfect for casual entertaining.
It’s already the end of August, and in only a few weeks it will be the end of summer. But before I say goodbye to summer recipes and start baking fall desserts, I had to share this seriously delicious fresh peach and blueberry cake. The recipe is an adaptation of Ina Garten’s peach cake. Her version has pecans in it, but since I needed to keep this cake nut free I used blueberries instead. I can’t recall the last time I tried one Ina Garten’s recipes, but if all of her recipes are half as good as this cake, I need to remember to try more of them.
This cake was easy to make and so moist and tender with fresh ripe peaches and blueberries on top of a flavourful cake base. Just a little bit of cinnamon and cardamom added to both the cake and fruit adds a touch of warmth and spice to this dessert.
This cake makes an excellent brunch cake and is perfect for casual entertaining. Baking this cake in a springform pan ensures it’s easy release from the pan without the need to flip it over. I used a 9-1/2 inch pan, but anything between 9 and 10 inches should work perfectly. Go ahead and treat yourself to a slice of this fresh peach and blueberry cake, you’ll be happy you did!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream at room temperature, I used full-fat
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom optional
- 2 large fresh ripe peaches peeled pitted and sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries rinsed
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom optional
- Place rack in the middle of the oven and heat oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of a 9-1/2 springform pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamom (if using). Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and granulated sugar and beat on medium-high for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl before gradually adding the flour mixture on low-speed.
- Once the flour has been incorporated, increase the speed of the mixture and beat until batter is smooth, don't over-beat the batter.
- In a small bowl mix the peaches and blueberries with the brown sugar, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Spread the batter evenly into the cake pan.
- Add the fruit to top of cake by arranging peaches in a circular pattern and scattering the blueberries in the gaps.
- Bake for approximately 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool cake on wire rack for 10 minutes before running a knife along the side and releasing the cake.
- Serve the cake at room temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
More summer cakes you should try: