Last Updated on November 23, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my affiliate disclosure for more details.
This simple Strawberry Spinach Salad with walnuts is dressed in a balsamic vinaigrette for a light and healthy dish perfect for summer entertaining.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I love cooking with seasonal ingredients and the easiest way to incorporate fresh seasonal produce is to include it in a salad. There is nothing like fresh fruit to lighten and freshen up a summer dish. This time I'm using fresh strawberries to make an easy and flavourful salad.
How to Make a Salad with Strawberries
All you need are a few key ingredients to make this summery spinach and strawberry salad. The salad tastes best when made with tender baby spinach and sweet juicy strawberries.
I like to top mine with crunchy toasted walnuts, tangy and creamy goat cheese and a few slivers of red onion. Dressed with a tasty homemade maple balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is simple yet special enough to make for company and special occasions.
- Fresh baby spinach. You can also use regular spinach as well.
- Fresh Strawberries. You can also try this salad with fresh blueberries, blackberries or even pears.
- Red onion.
- Walnuts. pecans or almonds are also good choices.
- Goat cheese. Feta cheese or blue cheese will work as well.
As is the case with most salads, there is enough flexibility in the ingredients to allow for variations based on your taste preferences or what you have available in your pantry and refrigerator.
As you'll notice in the recipe card below, I add a touch of oil, maple syrup and a sprinkling of cayenne (for a little heat) to the walnuts before toasting them. This step isn't necessary but adds extra flavour to the nuts and makes the salad even tastier.
You could also use this recipe for Maple Spiced Walnuts to jazz up your nuts. You'll end up with extra nuts that you can serve as an appetizer or snack on while making the salad!
Balsamic Salad Dressing
I love a good sweet and savoury salad dressing. To dress this spinach strawberry salad, I used a few simple ingredients.
- Extra-virgin olive oil. You could also use walnut oil or a combination of walnut and olive oil.
- Maple syrup. If you don't have any maple syrup for the dressing, honey is a good substitute.
- Good quality Balsamic vinegar.
- Salt and pepper.
You can make the dressing ahead of time and store it in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. Just make sure to take the dressing out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before dressing the salad.
This recipe will serve about 6 people as a side dish and has approximately 242 calories a serving. Make it a complete meal by adding a grilled chicken breast on top, it's so delicious!
I really hope you have a chance to try this strawberry salad. I'm sure it will be on rotation along with this Watermelon and Feta Salad in my home this summer. Enjoy!
More Summer Salad Recipes
- Fattoush Salad
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
- Lebanese Tabbouleh
- White Bean and Tuna Salad
- Mediterranean Kale Salad
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- ½ cup walnuts toasted
- 1 tsp light oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- sprinkling of cayenne optional
Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup olive oil light or other neutral oil
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Spinach Strawberry Salad
- 6 cups baby spinach washed
- 2 cups fresh whole strawberries washed and quatered
- ¼ small red onion thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup crumbled goat cheese more to taste
- With a rack in the middle of your oven, preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add ½ cup walnuts, drizzle with one teaspoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of maple syrup and sprinkle with a touch of cayenne (optional). Mix well and spread the walnuts onto the baking sheet in one even layer,
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until nuts are toasted and fragrant. Let cool.
Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Place all ingredients is a small jar and shake well. Set aside while you make the salad.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Place the washed and dried spinach in a salad bowl and top with quartered strawberries, sliced onion, crumbled goat cheese and toasted walnuts. Reserve a few strawberries, nuts and cheese to top the salad with after it has been dressed.
- Dress the salad and toss. Add reserved strawberries, walnuts and goat cheese to top. Serve!
- You can make the dressing ahead of time and store it in a sealed jar in the refrigerator. Take the dressing out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before giving it a good shake and dressing the salad.
- Use only as much dressing as needed and store the remainder in the refrigerator for your next salad, because you'll want to make this salad again and again!
This post was originally published in June of 2018. It has been updated.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: