Last Updated on October 26, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my affiliate disclosure for more details.
These healthier Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are so delicious they can even be enjoyed as a dessert!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I turned my family's favourite banana chocolate chip muffins recipe into Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Muffins and they turned out fabulous! The muffins are so chocolatey, they'll satisfy even the most serious of chocolate cravings. In fact, the muffins taste like decadent chocolate cake but are much healthier for you.
Healthier Chocolate Banana Muffins
These muffins are quick and easy to make. Made with simple ingredients such as whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa, sugar, eggs, yogurt and banana, these chocolate banana muffins can be made anytime you feel like it.
Since they are made with whole grains, you'll find them to be wholesome and satisfying.
The muffins are irresistible when they're still warm and the mini chocolate chips inside the muffins are all melty. The muffins are super chocolatey, moist are tender which makes them a favourite for breakfast or a snack.
This muffin recipe is a favourite in my home, I hope you'll find this recipe a keeper as well!
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 large egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup yogurt I used Balkan style
- ⅓ cup light olive oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 bananas mashed, medium sized
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips reserve a few for the tops or use a bit extra to add to the top of the muffins
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease or line muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Sift the cocoa and whisk into the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Add in the chocolate chips, mix until just combined. To avoid tough muffins, do not over-mix the batter.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing them and placing onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container up to 3 days. Muffins can also be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days, or else they can be frozen for later use.