These healthier Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Muffins are so incredibly delicious they can even be enjoyed as a dessert!
I turned my family’s favourite banana chocolate chip muffins recipe into whole wheat double chocolate banana muffins and they turned out fabulous! These muffins are so chocolatey, that I’m sure they’ll satisfy even the most serious of chocolate cravings. In fact, the muffins taste like decadent chocolate cake but are so much healthier for you. Best of all, these muffins are quick and easy to make with simple everyday ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
These whole wheat double chocolate banana muffins are:
- super chocolatey
- wholesome and
I find these muffins especially delicious when they’re warm and the mini chocolate chips inside the muffin are all melty. I know this recipe will be a regular in my home, I hope you’ll find this recipe a keeper as well!
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup yogurt I used Balkan style
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 bananas mashed, medium sized
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips reserve a few for the tops or use a bit extra to add to the top of the muffins
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease or line muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Sift the cocoa and whisk into the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Add in the chocolate chips, mix until just combined. To avoid tough muffins, do not over-mix the batter.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffins comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing them and placing onto a wire rack to cool.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container up to 3 days. Muffins can also be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days, or else they can be frozen for later use.