This moist, easy and quick to make Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake has a delicious swirled filling and topping.
This recipe for Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake is one from my childhood. My mom often used to bake this cake when we would have company. I can remember looking forward to having my slice of this moist and cinnamon-y cake with the crunchy topping. For some reason, my mom stopped baking this cake and recently I found myself craving it. I think all the cinnamon flavour in this cake must remind me of Christmas and so I’ve decided that this is the perfect time of the year to be sharing this flavourful bundt cake recipe with you.
I asked my mom if she still had the recipe and she did. The recipe is from the Milk Calendar, not sure which year as the page was torn from the calendar. I made a couple of small changes to the recipe and this Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake is the result. A delicious aroma of cinnamon and brown sugar filled my house while this was baking and I couldn’t wait to see if this tasted the way I remembered. And it did, every single bite tasted just as I remembered.
A good thing about this cake, other than how delicious it is, is how quickly it can be made. This cake can be prepared and baked in less than an hour so it’s a great recipe to have on hand for those days when you have many other things to prepare or are short on time. What I also love about this cake is that it uses staple pantry items. If you don’t have walnuts on hand you could use pecans, hazelnuts or almonds.
This Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake is moist with a wonderful tender crumb. The cake has a delicious chocolate, brown sugar, cinnamon and walnut filling swirled in the middle and is then topped with more brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts. This makes the top a bit crunchy and adds texture to the cake.
Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks melted and cooled
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a large bundt pan.
In a liquid measuring cup, measure 1 cup of milk and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar. Set aside.
In a small bowl combine brown sugar,cinnamon and walnuts. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt, whisk and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each time until the chocolate is melted.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minute.
- Add the granulated sugar and beat for about 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat the mixture on medium speed until the batter is smooth, stopping a couple of times to scrape the bowl.
- Transfer half the batter into the prepared bundt pan, drizzle the melted chocolate over the batter and add half of the brown sugar mixture.
- Add the remaining batter over the filling and use a butter knife to swirl the filling.
- Sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar mixture over the cake.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes and then turn out to cool completely.