Last Updated on August 15, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Here’s an easy recipe for a homemade Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip that only takes minutes to prepare and is sure to impress your guests.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
The combination of smoked salmon, cream cheese, fresh dill and green onions makes this Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip super flavourful. This creamy appetizer is a real crowd-pleaser and so delicious that your guests will happily nibble away on this dip all evening long.
This easy recipe makes two cups of dip so this is a great appetizer for entertaining larger groups. And since it can be prepared ahead of time, it’s a great dish for taking to pot luck gatherings.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
Because we lead such busy lives, it can be tempting to purchase pre-made dips to make things easier on us, but taking the time to make this smoked salmon dip at home will assure you a much fresher and better tasting dip.
This dip only takes a few minutes to make. Though it can be made in your blender or food processor, I prefer using my food processor for this dip.
To make the dip, start by washing and chopping the green onion and fresh dill. Reserve a bit of the dill and smoked salmon to mix in by hand and top the dip with.
Add the cream cheese, smoked salmon, sour cream, green onions, dill, lemon juice and cayenne pepper to the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth. Taste the dip and adjust seasoning to taste.
Transfer the dip into a serving bowl, add some of the reserved smoked salmon, stir it in and then add the remainder to the top of the bowl with a sprinkling of fresh dill. If not serving right away refrigerate dip until ready to serve.
What to serve with this Dip
You can serve this smoked salmon dip with a variety of crudités and breads. My favourite fresh vegetables to serve it with are Belgian endive spears, carrots and celery sticks, green beans or asparagus spears.
For the bread, I like to use cubed pumpernickel or rye bread. I also like serving this dip with bagel chips, if you don’t have any, crackers will also work.
If you need to make it ahead of time, it can be made up to a day before you plan on serving it, just cover it well and store it in the refrigerator.
More Appetizers for Large Crowds
- Butternut Squash and White Bean Dip
- Caramelized Onion Hummus
- Baked Thai Chicken Wings
- Mini Cornbread Muffins
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- 250 grams cream cheese Regular or light, cut into smaller pieces
- 3 tablespoons sour cream or mayonnaise regular or light
- 150 grams smoked salmon chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper optional
- Before processing ingredients, reserve 2 tablespoons of finely chopped smoked salmon, 1 teaspoon. of fresh dill and 1 teaspoon finely chopped green onions.
- In your food processor, add the cream cheese, smoked salmon, sour cream or mayonnaise, green onions, dill, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
- Process your ingredients until the consistency is smooth.
- Transfer the dip into a bowl and add the reserved smoked salmon, green onions and dill. Stir well, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Chill for a couple of hours and up to 2 days.
- Serve with crudités and pumpernickel bread, crostini, bagel chips or crackers.
- This dip can be made up to 2 days ahead of serving.
- Nutritional information is only for the dip.