This easy recipe for Mini Apple Bundt Cakes, made with fresh apples and spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, results in delicious, moist and light apple cakes. This recipe makes six mini bundt cakes or one large apple bundt cake.
These Mini Apple Bundt Cakes are a delicious way to use up some tasty seasonal apples. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I wanted to share a dessert that fit the autumn season.
Delicious apple desserts are some of my favorite sweets to make during the fall. I love using warm and comforting spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to flavor my baked goods.
How to make Mini Apple Cakes
This made from scratch apple cake is easy to bake and is made with pantry staples. The applesauce and grated apples used in this recipe make a tender and moist cake with a double dose of apple flavour.
A bonus feature about this easy spiced apple cake recipe is that it can be easily mixed by hand.
Here is an overview of the ingredients and instructions, for the full recipe please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
- All-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour
- Ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg: These warm spices complement apples perfectly.
- Baking powder and baking soda: Both of these are used to make the cake rise and nice and fluffy.
- Eggs: Use room temperature eggs.
- Sea salt: Helps to enhance all the flavors.
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- Applesauce, sweetened or unsweetened is fine.
- Light-tasting oil. You can use grapeseed, canola, vegetable or coconut oil.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Grated peeled apples. I used Honeycrisp apples for this recipe, but you can use your favorite variety or even a combination of apples.
I used a mini bundt cake pan that makes six mini bundt cakes for this recipe but you can also use a regular-sized bundt pan (see the recipe card below for baking time).
- Peel, core and grate the apples. Add the grated apples to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into another bowl, whisk together to combine. Add the wet to the dry ingredients, blend well. Using a rubber spatula fold the grated apples into the cake batter.
- Spoon the cake batter into the greased and floured mini bundt cake pan until the cavities are approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove the cake pan from the oven and let the mini cakes cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Then carefully invert the cakes onto a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Tip: To avoid having your cake stick to the pan, make sure to grease your mini bundt pan with softened butter. Don't forget to get inside the nooks and crannies of the pan. After greasing it, dust the pan with flour and make sure to discard the excess flour.
These apple cakes should be served at room temperature. They're delicious plain but can also be dusted with a bit of icing sugar.
You can also serve these mini cakes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
And if you really want to dress them up, I included a recipe for an easy cinnamon-spiced glaze you can make to drizzle on the cakes.
Store leftover mini bundts covered at room temperature for up to three days. For longer storage, refrigerate up to five days.
Unglazed mini cakes can also be stored in an airtight container and be frozen for up to three months. Thaw the cakes overnight in the refrigerator and serve at room temperature.
If you want to add a drizzle of glaze to them you can do so once they're at room temperature.
Looking for more mini bundt cake recipes? These Mini Almond and Matcha Bundt Cakes combine the flavours of almonds and matcha and are a favorite of mine.
More Bundt Cake Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake
- Espresso Gingerbread Bundt Cake
Mini Apple Bundt Cakes
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup light-tasting oil I used grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups grated peeled apples packed
For the Glaze
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream add more if using cream and to achieve a thinner consistency
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, apple purée, maple syrup, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in the grated apples and stir until just mixed.
- Spoon batter into the greased and floured mini bundt cake pan until approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean about 20-22 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
For the Glaze
- Combine, the powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt and milk or cream in a small bowl, whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle over cakes.
The recipe for Mini Apple Bundt Cakes was originally published in January 2014. I've updated the post and included new photos.