This recipe makes deliciously moist and light mini apple spice bundt cakes flavoured with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Today I baked these Mini Apple Spice Bundt Cakes. I really wanted to bake something that was somewhat healthy so I knew it had to at least have fruit and whole wheat flour in it. And since my apples were getting a little bruised, I opted for an apple cake. I didn’t use just one kind of apple for these cakes, I used a couple of different types, I had Macintosh and Gala apples in my refrigerator, and since I didn’t have enough of just one type I ended up using a mix of both.
Since I wanted a healthier recipe, I decided not to glaze the cakes, but if you feel like a sweeter or more decadent dessert you can drizzle the cakes with a caramel sauce or a glaze. I would choose a maple glaze to accentuate the maple flavour in the cakes. But trust me, these cakes are so good you won’t miss the glaze!
Mini Apple Spice Bundt Cakes
- 1/2 cup light-tasting oil I used grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup apple purée
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups grated peeled apples packed
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, apple purée, brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together both flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in the grated apples and stir until just mixed.
- Spoon batter into the greased and floured mini bundt cake pan until approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean about 20-22 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
If you prefer you can also make just one large cake by using a regular sized bundt pan. However you will have to adjust the baking time for the larger cake to approximately 45 minutes.