Two ingredients in the spice blend of this delicious, Easy Spaghetti Meat Sauce recipe make it stand out from the rest and will have your guests asking for more.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Easy Spaghetti Meat Sauce is loaded with fresh vegetables, ground beef, tomato sauce and spices. But so are almost all of the meat sauce recipes out there, so you might be wondering what’s so special about this recipe? Well I believe it’s a couple of the spices that I include when seasoning the sauce.
When adding the spices to my meat sauce, I include the usual oregano, basil and bay leaves, but I also include ground cumin and coriander (the dried seed of cilantro). These spices make the sauce super flavourful and really make it stand out from the rest.
Can you make a spaghetti meat sauce from jar sauce?
Another ingredient that I add to this sauce is a ready-made organic tomato and basil pasta sauce instead of a plain tomato sauce or canned crushed tomatoes. I don’t know why it feels like I’m committing some kind of culinary infraction when I do this? But when I think about it, there isn’t much difference between using a really good quality jarred tomato pasta sauce and using a can of plain tomato sauce which I will need to add more seasoning to anyways. I like to think of it as a practical short cut, like using ready-made broth instead of always making my own from scratch. However, when choosing your sauce make sure to check the amount of sodium, it can vary greatly from one brand to another. But what’s great about this recipe is that it’s completely up to you to use what you prefer, you will just have to add more seasoning if you use a plain tomato sauce.
What I love about sauces like this one, is that after you’ve made the sauce once, you can adjust it to your liking by playing around with the spices, adding more or less, or omitting one all together. This recipe makes quite a bit of sauce, I like to make a large batch that I can then portion and freeze, it makes life easier on busy weeknights. But if you prefer a smaller batch you can easily cut this recipe in half. I rely on this easy meat sauce often when making pasta, I especially like to use it on spaghetti and in my lasagna. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion large
- 3 garlic cloves large
- 2 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 sweet pepper red or green
- 227 grams fresh mushrooms one package
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 6 cups pre made pasta sauce your favourtie brand
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes more to taste
- Wash vegetables and peel garlic, onions and carrots.
- Cut all vegetables into chunks that will fit into your food processor.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Start by adding the onion and garlic to the food processor, when vegetables are chopped to your liking, add them to the saucepan and give them a quick stir.
- Continue to process the rest of the vegetables and add them to the pan as you go. Stir and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the ground beef, sauté and break up the large chunks of meat. Cook until the ground beef is no longer pink, about 10 min.
- Add the tomato sauce and all the seasonings, reduce heat, stir and let simmer.
- After the sauce has simmered for approximately 30 min, taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Reduce heat to low, and let simmer for two to three hours, stirring occasionally and adding tomato juice, beef broth or water if too much liquid has evaporated.
- When ready to serve, taste sauce one more time and adjust seasonings, remove bay leaves.
- Serve over pasta of your choice, sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley (or basil) and freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional).