With less than 10 ingredients, this delicious Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta couldn’t be easier to prepare. Ready in 30 minutes, it makes a fantastic weeknight meal!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Not only is this Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta super easy to make but it's also quick to prepare, nutritious and delicious.
You can choose to use the recipe as is, or as a guide and adapt it to your liking. For instance, you can substitute the spinach with a different vegetable. My favourites to use are zucchini, mushrooms, peas, or even a combination.
You can also add some protein to this dish. Shrimp, chicken, sausage or ground beef are all great options.
With so many possibilities available, you can easily make this dish regularly and simply change up the protein and veggies to keep from getting tired of it. Any way you decide to make it, this pasta dish makes a fantastic mid-week meal.
Fresh Tomato and Spinach Pasta
This fabulous dish came together from my desire to use up some leftover ingredients I had in the refrigerator from another meal.
I used fresh spinach in this recipe, but frozen would also work. Though I added grape tomatoes, you can use any variety of tomato you have on hand.
For the pasta, I opted for Lumaca Rigata. This pasta is shaped like a snail and is grooved, which really works well in this recipe since the sauce makes its way into the cavity of the noodle and creates bites full of flavour. If you can't find it, pasta shells are a great substitute or any other short pasta.
If you look at the ingredients for this recipe, you'll see that cream isn't listed. That's because there isn't actually any cream in this pasta dish, the creaminess comes from adding goat cheese and some of the pasta water to the skillet.
How to Serve
Serve this pasta dish with a side of garlic bread, or a salad. Though you don't absolutely need it, the addition of fresh basil adds freshness to this dish.
How to Store
Transfer leftover pasta to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
More Delicious Pasta Dishes
- Shrimp, Spinach and Goat Cheese Penne
- Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Easy Spaghetti Meat Sauce
- Tomato Orzo Soup
Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- 1/2 lb. (226g) approx. dried pasta * I used Lumaca Rigata
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic medium, finely minced
- 5 cups fresh spinach washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heaping grape or cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup approx. tomato puree or passata
- 3 to 4 tablespoons goat cheese crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-10 leaves fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese optional
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until just short of being done since the pasta will finish cooking in the sauce. Don't forget to reserve 1 cup of the pasta water when draining the pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook the onion for 2 to 3 minutes stirring every minute or so. Add the garlic and keep cooking until onions are translucent.
- Add the dried oregano, 1/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper. Stir the onions and garlic with the seasonings.
- Add tomato puree and enough water to thin out the sauce. Let it come to a simmer and add the halved grape (or cherry) tomatoes, simmer for a couple of minutes then add the spinach.
- Once the spinach has wilted, add the goat cheese.
- When pasta is just a couple of minutes away from being cooked, drain it, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta and some of the pasta water to the sauce. Cook a couple of minutes more or until pasta is al dente. Add more pasta water if sauce is too thick.
- Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Just before serving, add the chopped fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, or more goat cheese if desired.
This recipe for Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta was originally published in July 2016. The post has been updated.