If you’re looking for an easy and no fuss way to make use of excess zucchini this summer try making this delicious Lemon Zucchini Walnut Loaf, you’ll be happy you did!
Baking with zucchini is a wonderful way to make use of all the zucchini growing in your garden. Zucchini adds plenty of moisture to baked goods and helps produce a tender and moist loaf. If you’ve never tried zucchini bread before you may be thinking that zucchini is an odd ingredient to put into a sweet tasting loaf. Well let me tell you that this lemon zucchini walnut loaf is delicious, flavourful, tender, and super moist. The lemon zest and juice gives this bread a wonderful light and summery taste.
Another thing I love about this Lemon Zucchini Walnut Loaf is that the ingredients can all be mixed by hand so there is no need to get your mixer out for this recipe. The most crucial element to remember when making this loaf is to squeeze out most of the moisture in the zucchini before mixing it in with the wet ingredients. If you don’t do so you may end up with a dense, heavy and soggy loaf and that’s not a good thing!
I adapted the recipe for this loaf from Nancy Creative’s Lemon-Zucchini loaf, you can see her recipe here. Nancy has tons of delicious recipes on her site so be sure to pop on over to her blog when you have a craving for something delicious! If you like the idea of baking with zucchini, you’ll want to try these double chocolate zucchini muffins, the muffins are really chocolatey and delicious and if you have picky kids they’re perfect for sneaking some veggies into their diet.
Lemon Zucchini Walnut Loaf
A delicious, easy and no fuss recipe for a Lemon Zucchini Walnut Loaf.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup yogurt I used Balkan Style
- 1/2 cup light tasting oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini grated with skin on
- 3/4 cup walnuts toasted* and chopped
Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour one 9x5x3- inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla until well combined.
- Using a clean kitchen towel or several paper towels, squeeze out most of the moisture from the zucchini.
- Add the squeezed shredded zucchini to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until evenly incorporated, do not over mix.
- If desired, add the toasted walnut pieces and stir to incorporate.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until the loaf is golden and a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool loaf in pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then turn the loaf out unto a wire rack to cool completely.
*Toast the walnuts in a 350ºF oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are fragrant, let cool and chop coarsely.
**If you don't have any whole wheat pastry flour on hand, you can use all-purpose flour
***This loaf can be wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.