If you’re looking for an easy and no fuss way to make use of excess zucchini this summer try making this delicious Lemon Zucchini Walnut Loaf, you’ll be happy you did!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Baking with zucchini is a wonderful way to make use of all the zucchini growing in your garden. Zucchini adds plenty of moisture to baked goods and helps produce a tender and moist loaf. If you’ve never tried zucchini bread before you may be thinking that zucchini is an odd ingredient to put into a sweet tasting loaf. Well let me tell you that this lemon zucchini walnut loaf is delicious, flavourful, tender, and super moist. The lemon zest and juice gives this bread a wonderful light and summery taste.
I adapted the recipe for this bread from Nancy Creative’s Lemon-Zucchini loaf, you can see her recipe here. If you like the idea of baking with zucchini, you’ll want to try these delicious whole wheat double chocolate zucchini muffins. The muffins are really chocolatey and moist and if you have picky kids they’re perfect for sneaking some veggies into their diet.
How to make Lemon Zucchini Bread
One thing I love about this Lemon Zucchini Walnut Loaf is that the ingredients can be mixed by hand and there is no need for a mixer. The most crucial element to remember when making this loaf is to squeeze out most of the moisture in the zucchini before mixing it in with the wet ingredients. If you don’t get the water out of the zucchini, you’ll end up with a dense, heavy and soggy loaf.
How to freeze zucchini bread
You may be wondering if you can freeze zucchini bread, well the answer is yes! The bread should be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in an airtight freezer bag. You can freeze it for up to three months. So next time you have more zucchini than you know what to do with, consider baking several loaves, you won’t regret it. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp Lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup yogurt I used Balkan Style
- 1/2 cup light tasting oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini grated with skin on
- 3/4 cup walnuts toasted* and chopped
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour one 9x5x3- inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla until well combined.
- Using a clean kitchen towel or several paper towels, squeeze out most of the moisture from the zucchini.
- Add the squeezed shredded zucchini to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until evenly incorporated, do not over mix.
- If desired, add the toasted walnut pieces and stir to incorporate.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until the loaf is golden and a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Cool loaf in pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then turn the loaf out unto a wire rack to cool completely.
**If you don’t have any whole wheat pastry flour on hand, you can use all-purpose flour
***This loaf can be wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.