Last Updated on September 13, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Are you looking for something pumpkiny and delicious to bake? This Chocolate Swirled Brown Sugar Pumpkin Loaf will do just the trick!
This flavourful Chocolate Swirled Brown Sugar Pumpkin Loaf makes a delicious weekend treat. When I saw the recipe for this loaf in a recent edition of Canadian Living, I knew I was going to have to make it.
Though I'm sure the original recipe for this loaf would have been delicious, I decided I wanted something simpler to bake. I also wanted to make sure that the flavour of pumpkin came through and wasn't covered up with the strong flavour of the candied ginger and too much chocolate.
The loaf came out moist, tender and flavourful. It's perfectly sweetened and the spices are nicely balanced and not overwhelming, which lets the flavour of both the pumpkin and chocolate come through.
The loaf is simple to make and doesn't take much preparation work. It's perfect when you need a simple dessert, it makes a nice afternoon snack and if you are willing to part with it, this loaf would make a nice little gift.
Next time I make this loaf I plan on adding some of my Maple Spiced Walnuts, I think they would make a great addition to this loaf and give it a nice little crunch. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Chocolate Swirled Brown Sugar Pumpkin Loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp . baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup light tasting oil
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 115 grams semi-sweet chocolate melted and slightly cooled
- With a rack in the middle of your oven, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour one 9x5x3- inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and salt, Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil with brown sugar.
- Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Add the pumpkin purée and vanilla and whisk well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin purée mixture and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Divide the batter in half.
- Add the melted chocolate to one bowl of the pumpkin batter. Stir until well incorporated.
- Alternately drop spoonfuls of the chocolate and pumpkin batters into the loaf pan until you have used all of the batter.
- To create the marbled effect, use a butter knife to gently swirl the batters.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then turn the loaf out unto the wire rack to cool completely.