This easy recipe for a flavourful Spinach Apple Cranberry Salad combines sweet and savoury ingredients and is proof that simple can be delicious.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Whether it’s for a small family dinner or a large feast, you can impress your guests with this easy and light spinach salad. Perfect as a starter or a side dish, this simple Spinach Apple and Cranberry Salad dressed with an apple cider vinaigrette comes together quickly. This salad demonstrates that all it takes are a few basic pantry ingredients and a couple of fresh seasonal ingredients to make flavourful salads that aren’t boring.
How to make a spinach salad and apple cider vinaigrette
This healthy fresh spinach salad recipe puts together ingredients that complement each other by adding sweet and savoury elements of different textures and colours. Dressing the salad with an easy homemade vinaigrette will ensure a fresher, healthier and tastier salad.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this healthy spinach apple cranberry salad
- Baby spinach, using baby spinach ensures tender leaves.
- Green or red apples add freshness, sweetness and crunch.
- Red onion, just a bit adds a nice sharpness.
- Dried cranberries, I prefer to use sweet but you can use unsweetened. They add vibrant colour and makes the salad look festive. Pomegranate seeds would also be delicious in this salad.
- Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds), though pecans or walnuts would also work. Toasting the seeds and nuts makes them crunchier and helps bring out their flavour.
- Goat cheese or Feta cheese, to add tanginess and creaminess.
For the Spinach Salad Dressing
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for a tastier dressing use a good quality olive oil.
- Apple cider vinegar, if not available, balsamic vinegar is also delicious in this dressing.
- Maple syrup or honey
- Salt and pepper
- If you wish, you could add a touch of Dijon mustard and half a small clove of garlic (minced).
As you can see, you can make a company worthy healthy and delicious salad with only a few basic ingredients.
If you’re looking for more easy spinach salad recipes, these two are favourites of mine: This Spinach and Clementine Salad is perfect for the holiday season as baby spinach gets paired with juicy clementines and crunchy almonds. And this classic Strawberry Spinach Salad is especially delicious when fresh local strawberries are in season.
And if you need more salad inspiration, the combination of flavours, colours and textures in this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Citrus Tahini Dressing and in this Pomegranate, Pear and Pecan Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette makes both of these stunning salads absolutely delicious!
Spinach Apple Cranberry Salad
- 6 cups baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1 large apple, cored and thinly sliced or 2 small apples
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the washed and dried spinach to a salad bowl and top with sliced apples, sliced red onion, cranberries, pepitas and goat cheese.
- Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a small mason jar and give it a good shake. If not using immediately store it in the refrigerator.
- Add about half of the dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately with more salad dressing on the side.