Built on the classic combination of fruit, cheese and nuts, this Pear and Brie Crostini is a delicious, elegant and simple to make appetizer.
Have you ever been to a dinner party where all they served were appetizers? Well I love such parties. I think it’s so much fun to be able to sample so many different nibbles and experience all the various flavours and textures. Some of my favourite appetizers are those that combine both sweet and savoury elements in the same bite. This Pear and Brie Crostini does exactly that.
How to make this Pear and Brie Appetizer
This simple appetizer is built on the classic combination of fruit, cheese and nuts. The brie and pear are layered on top of a crostini (a previously toasted slice of baguette), put under the broiler and then drizzled with a honey and balsamic syrup. To finish this appetizer off, it gets topped with toasted crumbled walnuts, a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves and a dash of freshly ground pepper. It’s heaven in a bite!
With a season full of special occasions upon us, it’s great to have delicious, elegant and yet simple to make appetizers in our repertoire. Include this Pear and Brie Crostini on your menu next time you entertain and you’ll be sure to impress! If you’re looking for more easy appetizer ideas take a look at this Smoked Salmon and Boursin Crostini and this Strawberry Goat Cheese Crostini, they’re both delicious!
If you make this recipe make sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I’d love to see your photos!
Pear and Brie Crostini
- 1 baguette sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 6 oz brie rind trimmed
- 1/2 cup toasted* walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1-2 pears halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme optional
- freshly ground pepper optional
- Start by placing a rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler on high.
- Set the slices of baguette on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with a little olive oil.
- Place the baking sheet under the broiler and toast the bread until they are crispy and lightly golden on top, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the honey with balsamic vinegar, add the salt and stir. Set aside.
- Layer the crostini with a slice of cheese topped by a slice of pear.
- Broil until the cheese starts to melt.
- Pull out of the oven and drizzle with the honey and balsamic syrup.
- Add a few pieces of crumbled walnuts, a sprinkling of thyme and a dash of freshly ground pepper.
- Serve immediately.
*You can toast the walnuts in a 350ºF oven for about 8-10 minutes or until they are fragrant, let cool and chop coarsely.