Molten Chocolate Cake is the ultimate homemade dessert for lovers of ooey-gooey chocolatey goodness. Luckily these little lava cakes are so easy to make!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Molten Chocolate Cake is a chocolate lover's dream dessert. This chocolate dessert has been on my list of recipes to try for a long time. Not sure why it took me so long, but now that I've made it there is no going back. I have made these chocolate lava cakes several times now and they're always a hit.
How to Make it
I can't believe how incredibly easy and quick it is to make these chocolate molten cakes. The ingredients can be easily divided or multiplied to get the number of portions you need. Though I suspect that the number of eggs can be reduced if you're going to make more than 4 portions at a time, I have not tried it myself.
To make these little cakes you will need:
- Bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
To make the cakes, you'll need to start by buttering your ramekins. In a double boiler, or using a bowl over boiling water, melt the butter and chocolate together. Once melted set aside.
In a medium bowl combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla and whisk well. Pour the melted chocolate into the egg and sugar mixture, whisk until well blended. Add the flour and salt and stir just until mixed in.
Separate the batter between the ramekins and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for approximately seven minutes. The length of time will depend on how hot your oven runs.
Let cakes cool for a couple of minutes before running a knife along the sides of the cake to help release them from the ramekins. Invert on to a plate and serve plain or with ice cream, freshly whipped cream or fresh fruit.
More Chocolate Treats
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- Gluten-Free Almond Flour Brownies
- Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake
- Fudgy Chocolate Walnut Cookies
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Molten Chocolate Cake
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Butter and flour two medium-sized (5 ounces or 150 ml capacity) ramekins.
- Bring 2 inches of water to boil in a small sauce pan.
- In a bowl add butter and chocolate. Place the bowl so that it’s over but not touching the boiling water.
- Stir until the chocolate and butter has melted and when it’s a smooth mixture, set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Pour the melted chocolate into this mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the salt and flour and stir without over mixing.
- Separate the batter equally into the two prepared ramekins.
- Do not fill all the way to the top edge of the ramekins because the cakes will rise slightly.
- Place the ramekins on the baking sheet and bake them on the centre rack of the oven for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Carefully run a paring knife around each cake, then invert the cake onto a small plate and serve immediately.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: