Molten Chocolate Cake is the ultimate homemade dessert for chocolate lovers. Luckily these little lava cakes are easy to make and require only a few simple baking ingredients!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Molten Chocolate Cake is a chocolate lover's dream dessert. The small chocolate cakes are made with only a few ingredients and baked in little ramekins.
They are meant to be served warm so that when you break the cake melted chocolate oozes out.
How to Make it
You won't believe how incredibly easy and quick it is to make these chocolate molten cakes.
The recipe below is for two cakes, one cake per person. Though I suspect the recipe can be multiplied to make more than 2 portions at a time, I have not tried it myself.
Here's an overview of the ingredients and steps to making these Molten cakes. Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for ingredients amounts and the full directions.
- Bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- Unsalted butter
- Large eggs
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- To make the cakes, you'll need to start by buttering your ramekins.
- In a double boiler, or using a bowl over boiling water, melt the butter and chocolate together. Once melted set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla and whisk well. Pour the melted chocolate into the egg and sugar mixture, whisk until well blended. Add the flour and salt and stir just until mixed in.
- Separate the batter between the ramekins and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for approximately seven minutes. The length of time will depend on how hot your oven runs.
- Let cakes cool for a couple of minutes before running a knife along the sides of the cake to help release them from the ramekins. Invert each cake onto a small serving dish.
Molten cakes can be simply served with a dusting of powdered sugar. They're also delicious served with ice cream, freshly whipped cream or even fresh fruit.
More Chocolate Treats
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- Gluten-Free Almond Flour Brownies
- Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake
- Fudgy Chocolate Walnut Cookies
Molten Chocolate Cake
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Butter and flour two medium-sized (5 ounces or 150 ml capacity) ramekins.
- Bring 2 inches of water to boil in a small sauce pan.
- In a bowl add butter and chocolate. Place the bowl so that it’s over but not touching the boiling water.
- Stir until the chocolate and butter has melted and when it’s a smooth mixture, set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugar.
- Pour the melted chocolate into this mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the salt and flour and stir without over mixing.
- Separate the batter equally into the two prepared ramekins.
- Do not fill all the way to the top edge of the ramekins because the cakes will rise slightly.
- Place the ramekins on the baking sheet and bake them on the centre rack of the oven for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Carefully run a paring knife around each cake, then invert the cake onto a small plate and serve immediately.