Rich, chewy, fudgy and deeply chocolatey, these easy to make homemade Chocolate Walnut Cookies make a wonderful treat for all chocolate and nut lovers!
These delicious dark chocolate walnut cookies are sure to satisfy your cravings for a dark chocolate treat. These cookies are not overly sweet and have a chewy texture with a fudgy interior. The crunchy walnuts add texture to these tender cookies.
This cookie recipe is really versatile, if you have nut allergies or don't like walnuts you can easily substitute with chocolate chunks or chips. Since my kids don't like nuts in their cookies, we make sure to set some batter aside and add chocolate chips only.
How to Make Chocolate Walnut Cookies
This great recipe for fudgy chocolate cookies is easy to make and can be mixed with a hand mixer or by hand.
Here's an overview of the ingredients and steps for making them. You can see the ingredient amounts in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Instant espresso powder (optional)
- Baking soda
- Salt: Enhances all the flavors.
- Light brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract: Adds flavor to the cookies.
- Unsalted butter
- Walnuts. Toasting the walnuts before adding them to the rest of the ingredients helps to bring out their flavor.
- Start by toasting the walnuts on a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. Melt the unsalted butter in the microwave or on the stovetop and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Blend well with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and add the room temperature melted butter. Blend thoroughly. Add the nuts or chocolate chips (or both) and mix well. Refrigerate the cookie batter for approximately one hour.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and add the room temperature melted butter. Use a rubber spatula to blend thoroughly. Add the chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (or both) and mix well. Refrigerate the cookie batter for approximately one hour.
- Place a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop a ball of dough out and place on the baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches between cookie dough balls.
- Bake cookies in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes. Make sure not to over-bake the cookies or they won't be as fudgy. Remove cookies from the oven and let cool slightly on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack.
These chocolate nut cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. For longer storage, cookies can also be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen cookies overnight in the refrigerator.
These delicious cookies are amazing so make sure to bake a batch of these Chocolate Walnut Cookies as soon as you get a chance, you won't regret it!
More Scrumptious Cookies to Try!
- Oatmeal Date Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Walnut Cookies Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder optional
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup melted unsalted butter cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and roughly chopped. Use nut of your choice.
- In a medium bowl combine the all purpose-flour, cocoa, espresso powder (if using), baking soda and salt. Stir well with a whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. With a wooden spoon, blend until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and add the room temperature melted butter. Blend thoroughly. Add the nuts or chocolate chips and mix well.
- Refrigerate the batter for approximately 45 minutes.
- Place a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Using a cookie scoop or a tablespoon, scoop a ball of dough out and place on baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches between cookies.
- Bake in the oven for 9 to 11 minutes. Make sure not to over-bake the cookies or they won't be as fudgy.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let cool slightly on the baking tray before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Cookies can also be frozen.
- Chocolate chips or pecans can be used instead of walnuts.
- Toast the walnuts in a 350ºF oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are fragrant, let cool and chop coarsely.
- These cookies are not overly sweet, so make sure to use unsalted butter only for this recipe.
- Dark brown sugar can be used in place of light brown sugar.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Cookies can also be frozen in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
This post was originally published by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits on July 26, 2016, the post has been updated with new content and pictures.