These quick and easy to make 5 Ingredient Date Energy Balls are made without refined sugar, make a nutritious snack and are perfect for a quick energy boost!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
These 5 Ingredient Date Energy Balls are made with healthy ingredients and are naturally sweetened by dates. Dates are filled with beneficial minerals and dietary fibre that fill you up. Dates also contain natural sugars that satisfy your sweet tooth and give you energy without the negative effects of refined sugars.
With so many variations possible, energy balls have become very popular. Recipes are so adaptable that you are sure to find a combination that you would enjoy. So get creative and try incorporating some of your favourite nuts, nut butters or dried fruit. You can make them with oats, almond flour, chia seeds, ground flax seeds and more. For more inspiration, you can take a look at my recipe for these Brownie Energy Bites or these Maple Espresso Bites.
How to Make Date Energy Balls
If using dry dates, soak them in one cup of very hot water for approx. 15 min. Drain the dates, reserving the water they were soaked in. In the bowl of your food processor, process the dates, adding 1 tablespoon of the reserved water. You’ll need a smooth paste, so if the dates are still chunky add another tablespoon of water and process a little longer.
Once the dates are smooth, add the ground almonds, peanut butter, dried coconut and cocoa powder. Process just long enough to mix the ingredients. Transfer the ingredients into a bowl.
Measure about two teaspoons and roll it in the palm of your hands. If the mixture is too soft and difficult to roll, add an extra tablespoon or two of ground almonds or coconut, or one of each and combine. Try rolling the mixture again, if the mixture rolls easily then you’ve got the right consistency.
Scoop approximately two teaspoons and roll the mixture in the palms of your hands until you have a smooth ball. You can coat the rolled balls in unsweetened dried coconut or finely chopped nuts of your choosing.
With only 5 ingredients, these energy balls make a great snack, they’re perfect for a quick energy boost before a workout and are a healthy way to satisfy a craving for something sweet. They don’t require any baking and take only 15 minutes to make. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. You can also freeze them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
5 Ingredient Date Energy Balls
- 1 cup dry dates pitted
- 1/3 cup finely ground almonds or other nut
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried coconut more for rolling
- 1/4 cup refrigerated and well blended natural peanut butter can substitute natural almond butter
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- Soak the dates in 1 cup of very hot water for approx. 15 min.
- Drain the dates, reserving the water they were soaked in.
- In the bowl of your food processor, process the dates, adding 1 tablespoon of the reserved water. You are looking for a smooth paste if the dates are still chunky add another tablespoon of water, process a little longer. I needed two tablespoons of water to get a smooth paste.
- Once the dates are smooth, add the ground almonds, peanut butter, dried coconut and cocoa powder. Process again until the mixture comes together in the food processor.
- At this point, take a small amount into your hands, if you can easily roll it then the mixture is ready, if it feels too soft, add more ground almonds or coconut, or a little of both, being careful not too add too much, try one tablespoon at a time until you get a consistency that rolls easily. Scoop approximately two (measuring) teaspoons (or if available use a size 50 scoop) and roll the mixture in the palms of your hands until you have a smooth ball. Repeat this process with the entire mixture, you should get about 14 energy balls.
- If desired you can roll the energy balls in unsweetened dried coconut, or a finely chopped nut of your choosing, I rolled some of mine in coconut and others in unsalted peanuts.