This simple and delicious recipe for a creamy Healthy Asparagus Soup requires only basic ingredients and very little effort or time to make!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
One of my
Asparagus tastes best and is most tender when it's fresh. And since it loses its
Asparagus Health Benefits
Asparagus has many health benefits. It's high in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins A, C, E and K. It also contains more folic acid than any other vegetable, which is especially important for pregnant women.
Asparagus can improve your blood flow and lower your blood pressure. It also contains a detoxifying compound that can help break down carcinogens in your body.
And if all those benefits weren't enough to encourage you to eat more asparagus, you should know that one cup of raw asparagus contains about 25 calories. It doesn't get much better than that!
How to Make a Healthy Creamy Asparagus Soup
This easy homemade asparagus soup requires only a few ingredients to make. Here are the ingredients I used:
- Basic aromatics. I used onion, celery and garlic.
- Asparagus, I used fresh but you could use frozen asparagus as well.
- Chicken stock or you could use vegetable stock to make a vegetarian soup.
- Flour. I add a tablespoon of flour when sauteeing the veggies. This thickens soups and gives creamy soups more body. If you are gluten intolerant you could add a small diced potato with your veggies instead.
- Heavy cream, I add 1/4 cup of cream to the soup after puréeing it for added creaminess. The heavy cream can be omitted for an even lighter soup, it will still be creamy without it.
To make the soup, start by sauteeing the aromatics, add a bit of flour (if gluten intolerant, add a small diced potato instead). Add the asparagus and chicken or vegetable stock.
Season the soup to your taste with salt and pepper. Let the soup come to a boil and cook until the asparagus is tender.
Purée the soup in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender to purée the soup right in the pot.
I add a touch of heavy cream after puréeing the soup for added richness and creaminess, but it can be omitted, it will still be plenty creamy without it.
Taste and adjust the seasoning of the soup before serving.
Different Ways to Enjoy Asparagus
Asparagus is such a tasty and versatile vegetable and can be cooked in so many different ways. But my favourite recipes are often the simplest. I believe the less fussy the recipe is, the more likely you are to savour the main ingredients.
If you have a bunch of really fresh asparagus you should try adding some raw spears to salads, just slice it thinly and toss it in with the remainder of the salad ingredients.
You could also add raw asparagus spears to vegetable platters and serve it with dip.
Asparagus can also be roasted, grilled, steamed or boiled like in this Healthy Asparagus Soup.
More Delicious Soups
- Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Crostini
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
- Tomato Orzo Soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup
Healthy Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 1 celery stick chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 pound asparagus
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt, pepper and ground nutmeg to taste
- Reserve a few asparagus tips to blanch and garnish the soup. Or you can drizzle a little cream and swirl it around. optional
Creamy Asparagus Soup:
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the garlic.
- Lower heat to medium and add 1 tbsp. of flour to vegetables. Cook, stirring for a couple of minutes. Add asparagus and then the chicken or vegetable stock. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Purée soup in batches, making sure not to fill your blender more than half full. You can also use an immersion blender to purée the soup right in the pot.
- Once puréed, return the soup to the pot and add 1/4 cup heavy cream (if using), stir and reheat soup on low heat, do not let the soup come to a boil. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste, add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg if using.
- Serve garnished with blanched asparagus tips or a drizzle of cream.
To Blanch Asparagus Tips:
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add asparagus tips and blanch for a couple of minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve on ice to stop the cooking process and keep them a vibrant green. Add to soup when ready to serve.
- Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.
- When heating leftovers, reheat soup on low heat to avoid boiling since this might cause the cream to separate. If ingredients separate, a quick whiz in the blender or with an immersion blender should fix the issue.
This post wast originally published in March of 2018. It has been updated. The recipe remains unchanged.