This homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup makes the best comforting and filling meal. Get this dinner on the table quickly by using ready-made chicken broth and leftover roast chicken.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I’ve been wanting to make creamy chicken soup for some time now, so when I saw this recipe for Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup over at Cooking Classy I knew it was time I tried it.
This soup is really easy to make and doesn’t take much time at all to prepare, especially if you’re using
How to Make a Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
To make this Creamy Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup, you’ll need to chop up some aromatic vegetables such as onions, celery, carrots, and garlic.
Cook them in a bit of oil and butter and then add the chicken broth. When the broth is boiling, add the uncooked pasta to the pot.
While the noodles are cooking, in a separate small pot, combine the butter and flour and cook for a couple of minutes before slowly adding the milk. Make sure to whisk the creamy sauce to remove any lumps.
Add the mixture to the soup and let it simmer for a bit. Add the chopped rotisserie chicken, frozen peas and give it a stir. Adjust the seasoning and serve!
How to Reheat Soup
The soup makes great leftovers, but you might want to thin it out slightly with more chicken broth or water when reheating. Just add enough broth until you have the desired consistency. Enjoy!
More Homemade Soup Recipes
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Creamy Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves small garlic minced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Salt, pepper, dry oregano or thyme to taste.
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup dry pasta of your choice (I used spaghettini broken into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk I used 2%
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Dash of nutmeg optional
- Chopped fresh parsley optional
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large pot.
- Add onion, celery and carrot and cook stirring for about 3 minutes, add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add salt, pepper and dried oregano or thyme.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- When soup is boiling add uncooked noodles and cook for approximately 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and add flour, stir the mixture constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk to the flour and butter mixture, whisking constantly until the milk comes to a boil.
- Pour the creamy milky mixture into the soup, stir, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and peas and simmer for 1 more minute.
- Adjust seasoning, add a dash of freshly grated nutmeg and a sprinkling of chopped parsley if desired.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: