This healthy Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Crostini is the ultimate fall comfort food.
There’s nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of soup on a cold fall day. Leek and potato soup is a classic and there are many variations, but however you like yours, this soup is delicious and so easy to make. Since I received my new Vitamix I’ve been using it daily, I’ve made so many delicious things in it. Last week, I posted a recipe for Butternut Squash and White Bean Dip, I’ve also made a marbled butternut squash and chocolate loaf, that one disappeared before I even got to take pictures, so I’ll be making that again soon so I can share it with you. On warmer days, I even made some healthy fruity frozen treats. But this post is about this Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Crostini.I like my leek and potato soups creamy and with the Vitamix, I was able to get my soup silky smooth. And not a drop of cream or milk was needed to get this soup creamy, once blended, the potatoes in the soup make it ultra smooth. But this soup isn’t only healthy, it’s also hearty and tasty. Filled with veggies such as carrots, celery, leeks and potatoes, this soup has tons of flavour. Served with the Garlic Parmesan Crostini, this soup would make a wonderful course at your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving celebrations!
If you haven’t already done so, it’s not too late to enter the Vitamix giveaway, click on this link to be directed to the right page. Contest is open to Canadian residents only. Good luck!
Note: This post is sponsored by Vitamix, I received a blender to create this recipe, but all opinions of their products are my own!
Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Crostini
A silky smooth leek and potato soup served with garlic Parmesan crostini.
For Leek and Potato Soup:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large leeks thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 lb. white potatoes peeled and diced, about 1.5 .
- 2 cloves medium garlic
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated Nutmeg
For Garlic Parmesan Crostini:
- 1 French baguette thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove large garlic cut in half
- 4 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
To make soup:
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, leeks, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and 8 cups of stock, bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer soup until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings, let soup cool slightly.
Remove the thyme sprig before pureeing soup in batches in your Vitamix, or other blender.
- If you prefer you could purée only part of the soup, so that you have a chunkier textured soup.
To make the Garlic Parmesan Crostini:
- Slice baguette into 1/2-inch rounds
- Rub tops of sliced baguette with cut garlic clove
- Lightly brush baguette slices with extra-virgin olive oil
- If desired top with freshly grated Parmesan
- Place under broiler until bread slices are toasted and cheese has melted (keep a close eye on them, this step doesn't take long!)
If you reheat leftovers, you may need to thin soup with a bit of water