This flavourful and healthy Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Crostini is the ultimate homemade comfort food.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This post is sponsored by Vitamix — Makers of my favourite high-performance blenders! All opinions expressed are my own.
There’s nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of soup on a cold fall day. This leek and potato soup is a classic that is easy to make, healthy and delicious without a drop of heavy cream. Contrary to many potato and leek soup recipes, this recipe is filled with veggies such as carrots, celery, leek and potatoes and has tons of flavour.
But this post is about this Creamy Leek and Potato Soup. I like my leek and potato soups creamy and with my Vitamix, I was able to get my soup silky smooth. Not a drop of cream or milk is needed to get this soup creamy, once blended, the potatoes in the soup make it ultra-smooth. If you like your soup creamy with chunks of veggies, simply purée part of the soup and then add it back to your big pot of soup. This will give you a thick soup with lots of texture.
How to Make Leek and Potato Soup from Scratch
To make this potato soup flavourful, you’ll need to start by sauteing some aromatic vegetables in a pot. Leeks, carrots, celery, onion and garlic are used to flavour the soup. Add the seasonings, and stir every now and then to make sure the veggies cook evenly.
Once the vegetables start to soften you can add the potatoes and broth. I used boxed chicken broth to make this soup but you can also use vegetable broth for a vegetarian or vegan option. Let the soup simmer until vegetables are tender. Adjust the seasonings to your taste and let the soup cool slightly before puréeing in your blender.
This Creamy Leek and Potato Soup with Garlic Parmesan Crostini is hearty and tasty. It would make a wonderful first course at your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving celebrations! And if you’re looking for more delicious recipes to make in your blender why not try this Butternut Squash and White Bean Dip, it makes a delicious appetizer or side dish and would be perfect for using up any leftover crostini!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
For Leek and Potato Soup:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large leeks thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 lb. white potatoes peeled and diced, about 1.5 .
- 2 cloves medium garlic
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated Nutmeg
For Garlic Parmesan Crostini:
- 1 French baguette thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove large garlic cut in half
- 4 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
To make soup:
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, leeks, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and 8 cups of stock, bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer soup until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings, let soup cool slightly.
- Remove the thyme sprig before pureeing soup in batches in your Vitamix, or other blender.
- If you prefer you could purée only part of the soup, so that you have a chunkier textured soup.
To make the Garlic Parmesan Crostini:
- Slice baguette into 1/2-inch rounds
- Rub tops of sliced baguette with cut garlic clove
- Lightly brush baguette slices with extra-virgin olive oil
- If desired top with freshly grated Parmesan
- Place under broiler until bread slices are toasted and cheese has melted (keep a close eye on them, this step doesn’t take long!)
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: