Homemade granola is quick to make and takes little effort. Try this Homemade Maple Pecan Granola with Dates and you’ll be rewarded with delicious and healthier granola.
Did you know that you could make the healthiest and best tasting granola right in your own kitchen? This recipe for homemade maple pecan granola with dates is so much better than most granola that comes out of a box. If you haven’t already made your own granola then let me tell you that it’s incredibly easy and takes very little time or effort. It’s also the best way for you to control how much sugar and fat you are consuming with your granola. If you have made granola at home then you already know that it’s a delicious treat.
Making Homemade Granola
This homemade maple pecan granola is full of texture. The oats, seeds and pecans are perfectly toasted which gives this granola a nice crunch. Make sure you use whole rolled oats in your granola, they are much better for you and contain fibre and protein that help fill you up. I found the amount of maple syrup used to sweeten this granola just right, if you prefer it sweeter then I would recommend adding 1 or 2 extra tablespoons of maple syrup. I chose coconut oil for the fat in this recipe, if you choose to use it as well, make sure to melt some before measuring it. You can also use other light tasting healthy oils. Homemade granola recipes are so adaptable, so don’t feel that you have to stick to an exact recipe, have fun and choose which of your favourite ingredients will go into your granola. When making substitutions just make sure to maintain the same ratio of wet-to-dry ingredients as the original recipe.
Give this Homemade Maple Pecan Granola with Dates recipe a try, you can eat it with your favourite dairy or non dairy milk, yogurt or just on it’s own. You’ll be rewarded with delicious granola that is good for you. Enjoy!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds unsalted
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pitted dates coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecan pieces, dried coconut, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the melted coconut oil, the maple syrup and vanilla and stir well.
- Spread on two lightly oiled baking sheets.
- Place each baking sheet on the two lowest racks in the oven, stir the granola and then alternate their position on the racks every 10 minutes.
- Bake for a total of 20 to 25 minutes or until granola is fragrant and toasted.
- Remove from the oven and let the granola cool before adding the chopped dates or other dried fruit of your choice.