These moist, healthy and flavorful Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins are lightly sweetened with maple syrup and include turmeric, a spice with anti-inflammatory properties.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Why Add Turmeric
I’ve been hearing so much about the benefits of turmeric lately. Turmeric contains the active ingredient curcumin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. What I find especially appealing about curcumin is its ability to enhance the function of the liver to detoxify our bodies. Though I’ve been using turmeric for it’s beneficial health properties in savoury food for years, I’ve only started to use it in baked goods. Since adding turmeric (fresh or dry) to your food is a great way to add antioxidants to your diet, I’ve been on a quest to add it to as many foods as I can. I decided to try it in my baked goods after seeing this recipe over at Green Kitchen Stories.
About these Healthy Carrot Muffins
I adapted their recipe to make these flavorful Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins spiced with turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and a touch of black pepper. The black pepper is added to help our bodies absorb the beneficial properties of turmeric. I also added some walnuts to these muffins for some crunch and their nutritional benefits.
You can top these muffins with the rolled oats mixture or just leave them plain. Either way, these muffins bake up light, flavourful, moist and tender.
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups grated carrots
- 2 eggs, lightly wisked large, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup light tasting oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces toasted
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. light tasting oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 dash cinnamon
For the oat topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. Set aside.
For the Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins:
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, oat flour, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup, oil, eggs, vanilla extract and grated carrots.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add in the walnuts and give it a quick stir.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- If using, top each muffin with a bit of the oat mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the muffin comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the muffin pan and place onto a wire rack to cool.