Last Updated on August 26, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Nutritious, delicious and simple to make this Cauliflower, Kale and Leek Soup is perfect for warming you up on those chilly days.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This Cauliflower, Kale and Leek Soup is a healthy soup that is both delicious and easy to make. Cauliflower is great for giving soups a creamy texture without actually having to add any cream to it.
The kale and leeks add so much flavour and the kale gives this soup such a beautiful green colour. Cauliflower and kale are both part of the cruciferous vegetable family which provide us with antioxidants and other fantastic health benefits.
If you wanted to make this soup on a weeknight, you could speed things up by prepping the veggies a day or two before. Just wash and chop up your vegetables, and then store everything separately in tupperware in the refrigerator until you're ready to make the soup.
I used boxed chicken broth to make this soup but you can also use vegetable broth if you wanted to keep it vegetarian. I destroyed my blender last winter by putting in liquids that were too hot, so this time I opted to use my handheld blender to blend the soup right in the pot. You could also let the soup cool a bit and purée it in batches in a blender or food processor.
Serve this Cauliflower, Kale and Leek Soup with crusty bread and you've got a delicious, healthy and light meal. Perfect for warming you up on those chilly days.
If you love cauliflower and soup, take a look at my Red Lentil and Cauliflower Soup recipe, you'll love it!
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Cauliflower, Kale and Leek Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cups large leek (approx. 4 white and light green parts only thinly sliced )
- 2 cup stalks celery approx. 1 chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 cups medium head cauliflower cut into florets (approx. 5 florets)
- 7-8 cups unsalted chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 2 cups packed chopped kale leaves
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg optional
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and celery and cook stirring occasionally until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the sliced garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the cauliflower, and pour in the chicken stock.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, and let simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Using a handheld blender, blend soup until smooth. Or you can purée the cooled down soup in batches in your blender or food processor.
- If soup is too thick, thin out using more stock or water.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste and add nutmeg if using.