This easy recipe for a spiced Pumpkin Walnut Loaf made with canned pumpkin purée yields a super flavourful and moist pumpkin loaf.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I look forward to making this beautifully golden Pumpkin Walnut Loaf every fall. The loaf always comes out tender and super moist. It's has become my family's favourite spiced pumpkin bread recipe.
Pumpkin Spice Loaf
Spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg, this bread is incredibly flavourful. Though the toasted walnuts are optional, they add great texture to the bread. Baking this pumpkin loaf will fill your home with the comforting aromas of fall spices.
How to Make a Moist Loaf
Though the ingredient list seems long, this loaf recipe is really easy to make and can be mixed by hand.
You'll notice in the ingredient list that I use both all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour in this bread. But you can just use all-purpose flour if that's all you have available.
You'll need two bowls to make this loaf, one for the dry and the other for the wet ingredients. Combine all the dry ingredients into one bowl and whisk to blend the spices, baking soda and salt into the flour.
To combine the wet ingredients, add the sugars and eggs into another bowl and whisk until well combined. If your brown sugar has lumps in it make sure to break them up and whisk until no lumps of sugar remain. Add the pumpkin purée and oil and blend the ingredients thoroughly.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir, until well combined, but avoid over stirring the batter. If adding walnuts, add them in now and give them a quick stir. If you don't have any walnuts, you can also use pecans.
See my note in the recipe card on how to toast walnuts. If you prefer to keep the loaf nut-free, you could add chocolate chips or just leave it plain.
Pour the batter into a well-greased and floured loaf pan, spread the top and bake in the oven for approximately one hour. You may want to tent your loaf partway through baking if you notice the top is getting too dark.
How to Store this Loaf
This recipe makes one loaf. To store the loaf, let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container or sealable food storage bag.
To freeze the loaf, wrap it well, store it in a freezer bag and freeze it for up to three months. Defrost the loaf in the refrigerator overnight.
To serve, let the loaf come to room temperature or if you're in a hurry you can warm slices of the loaf in a microwave.
If you would like to dress this loaf up with a glaze to drizzle over it you could use the glaze from this Mini Apple Spice Bundt Cakes recipe. The glaze will definitely transform this loaf into a dessert.
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake
- Maple Pumpkin Roll Cake
- Chocolate Swirled Brown Sugar Pumpkin Loaf
- Pumpkin Scones with Espresso Glaze
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Pumpkin Walnut Loaf
For the loaves:
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pure pumpkin purée
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts* optional
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the sugars and eggs until well combined.
- Add the oil and pumpkin purée and blend well.
- Add the pumpkin purée to the ingredients and stir just until evenly incorporated. If desired, add the toasted walnut pieces and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the loaf comes out clean, about 60 to 65 minutes.
- Cool loaf in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then turn the loaf out unto the wire rack to cool.
- Toasting the walnuts before adding them to the batter will enhance their flavour. You can toast walnuts in a 350ºF oven for about 10 minutes or until fragrant, let cool and chop coarsely.
This Pumpkin Walnut Loaf post was originally published in October 2014. The post has been updated with new text, photos and the recipe has been simplified and modified to make one loaf instead of two.