Last Updated on August 23, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Make a batch of these easy Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and enjoy delicious homemade tender and moist pumpkin muffins.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Autumn is in full swing here, the trees are beautiful with golden and crimson leaves. I will never tire of seeing summer transition into fall, it’s quite a spectacular scene.
Fall also means an abundance of squash in the markets, and bakeries and coffee shops filled with baked pumpkin goods and pumpkin spiced lattes.
And that’s just fine by me, as I always look forward to having my first pumpkin latte of the season and love baked pumpkin goodies.
When I think of baked pumpkin goods I usually think of them with nuts or pumpkin seeds in them. I love having that element of crunch in a slice of pumpkin loaf or a muffin.
But this time I wanted to bake something the kids would really enjoy and sadly mine don’t feel the same way I do about nuts in baked goods 🙁. So this time I baked the muffins with chocolate chips!
The combination of pumpkin and chocolate is delicious, and my kids just love these Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins!
The muffins are spiced perfectly with the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves, a classic combination of flavours that complement pumpkin so well.
The pumpkin purée makes the muffins very moist and they will stay that way for days. Using whole wheat pastry flour makes them healthier for you without reducing the tenderness or taste of the muffins.
I also like using mini chocolate chips instead of the regular-sized in my muffin recipes because they distribute better. But you can use whichever you prefer or have on hand.
Adding a few chocolate chips to the top of the muffins before baking them will make the muffins look extra chocolatey and make the kids extra happy 😀.
If you’re a lover of baked pumpkin goods you should try this pumpkin bread recipe. It’s an excellent recipe that makes two loaves, one to enjoy now and one for the freezer, or you can give it away if you can part with it 😉.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves optional
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups pumpkin puree canned
- 1/2 cup light olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips plus 1 Tbsp. for sprinkling on top before baking
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 paper cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves (if using). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, eggs and oil until well combined.
- Add in the pumpkin purée and blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix using a rubber spatula, do not over-mix the batter, it’s fine to have a few lumps.
- Add the chocolate chips and using the rubber spatula fold into the batter
- Divide batter between the 12 muffin cups, they should be full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes then remove from muffin pan and place onto rack to cool completely.