Treat yourself and your family by making a batch of these delicious, easy, moist and tender, kid-friendly Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Autumn is in full swing here, the trees are beautiful with golden and crimson leaves. I will never tire of seeing summer transition into fall, it's quite a spectacular scene.
Fall also means that bakeries and coffee shops are filled with baked pumpkin goods and pumpkin spiced lattes. And that's just fine by me, as I always look forward to having my first pumpkin latte of the season and love baked pumpkin goodies.
When I think of baked pumpkin goods I usually think of them with nuts or pumpkin seeds in them. I love having that element of crunch in a slice of pumpkin loaf or a muffin.
Since I wanted to bake something the kids would really enjoy I added chocolate chips to the recipe for pumpkin muffins that are kid-friendly!
The combination of pumpkin and chocolate is delicious, and my kids just love these Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
The muffins are spiced perfectly with the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves, a classic combination of flavours that complement pumpkin so well.
The pumpkin purée makes these muffins very moist and they will stay that way for days. Using whole wheat pastry flour makes them healthier for you without reducing the tenderness, fluffiness or taste of the muffins.
I also like using mini chocolate chips instead of the regular-sized in my muffin recipes because they distribute better. But you can use whichever you prefer or have on hand.
Adding a few chocolate chips to the top of the muffins before baking them will make the muffins look extra chocolatey and make the kids extra happy.
For toddler sized muffins, you can bake these pumpkin muffins in a mini muffin tin.
How to Store
Once the muffins have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container with paper towels at the bottom and top of the muffins. Paper towels will absorb the extra moisture from the muffins and keep them fresh for longer.
You can also freeze extra muffins to keep them fresh for longer than four days. Transfer the airtight container to the freezer or place muffins in a freezer bag. Muffins can be frozen for up to three months.
Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and warm slightly in a low-temperature oven. For more information on storing quick breads and muffins, check out this post from TheKitchn.
If you're a lover of baked pumpkin goods you should try this pumpkin bread recipe. It's one of my favourite pumpkin recipes. The bread is made with walnuts but you can use chocolate chips for another recipe your kids will love.
More Squash Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Swirled Brown Sugar Pumpkin Loaf
- Pumpkin Scones with Espresso Glaze
- Butternut Squash and White Bean Dip
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Pear Soup
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves optional
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups pumpkin puree canned
- ½ cup light olive oil or canola oil
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips plus 1 Tbsp. for sprinkling on top before baking
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 paper cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves (if using). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugars, eggs and oil until well combined.
- Add in the pumpkin purée and blend well.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix using a rubber spatula, do not over-mix the batter, it's fine to have a few lumps.
- Add the chocolate chips and using the rubber spatula fold into the batter
- Divide batter between the 12 muffin cups, they should be full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes then remove from muffin pan and place onto rack to cool completely.