With a fresh taste and tropical feel, this Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa makes an excellent light summer meal.
I don’t know about you, but the weather in my part of the world has been pretty hot this summer. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I love the summer season. And because summers are so short, I like to fill them up with as many outdoor activities as I can. This means there isn’t much time for cooking, so I really appreciate meal ideas that shorten my time in the kitchen. That’s why I love recipes like this pan fried rainbow trout dish. Not only is this recipe easy and quick to make, it makes a flavourful, light and refreshing summer dish.
The star of this dish is really the pineapple salsa. I got the recipe for this salsa on the blog Two Peas and their Pod. I found the flavourful combination of sweet, spicy and crunchy ingredients so addictive. The fresh cilantro and lime juice really enhance the salsa and make it super delicious. Since it can take a little time to get the pineapple and veggies for the salsa all chopped up, I recommend you prepare it ahead of time (up to a day in advance) and refrigerated it. Once the salsa is done, pan frying the rainbow trout fillets takes only a few minutes.
How to pan fry rainbow trout
Pan frying rainbow trout couldn’t be easier. Simply cut your fillet into desired portions and sprinkle with salt and pepper (or seasoning of your choice). Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add about a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter, when the pan is ready, add the trout fillets skin side down. Cook for about 3 minutes before flipping the fillets and cooking for about another minute. The fish is cooked when it flakes easily with a fork.
I love how simple and refreshing this meal is. You can easily double this recipe if you want to serve it to a larger group of people or if you would like to use the salsa for a dip with chips. The pineapple salsa is also great with fish tacos or grilled meats. To complete this meal, you can serve the rainbow trout and pineapple salsa with rice, beans or veggies. Enjoy!
For the Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/8 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1 tsp. olive oil extra-virgin
- Salt to taste
For the trout:
- 4 portions rainbow trout or salmon fillets, about 600 grams in total
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
For the salsa:
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the salsa ingredients. Season with salt and stir well. Cover the salsa and let sit at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator until serving.
For the fish:
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season fish with salt and pepper. Add the fish fillets to the fry pan, skin side down.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then carefully flip over and fry for another 2 minutes. For thicker fillets fry for 1 minute longer or until fish is cooked.
- Transfer the trout to plates and serve with pineapple salsa.