Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
With a fresh taste and tropical feel, this Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa makes an excellent light summer meal.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I don't know about you, but the weather in my part of the world has been pretty hot this summer. I love the summer season and because summers are so short, I like to fill them up with as many outdoor activities as I can. This means I want recipes that don't take too much time to prepare or can be prepared ahead of time. That's why I love recipes like this one. Not only is this rainbow trout recipe easy and quick to make, it makes a flavourful, light and refreshing summer dish.
The star of this dish is really the pineapple salsa. I got the recipe for this salsa on the blog Two Peas and their Pod. I found the flavourful combination of sweet, spicy and crunchy ingredients so addictive. The fresh cilantro and lime juice really enhance the salsa and make it super delicious. The salsa can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated. Once the salsa is done, cooking the rainbow trout takes only a few minutes.
How to Pan Fry Rainbow Trout
Pan frying rainbow trout couldn't be easier. Simply cut your fillet into desired portions, pat dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter, when the pan is ready, add the trout fillets skin side down. Fry for about 3 minutes, flip the fillets over and fry for another minute or until the trout flakes easily with a fork.
This Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa is a simple and refreshing dish that can easily be doubled if you want to serve it to a larger group of people. The salsa can be made on its own and served with corn chips as a dip. You can also serve the pineapple salsa with fish tacos or grilled meats. To complete this meal, serve the rainbow trout and pineapple salsa with rice, beans or veggies. Enjoy!
Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa
For the Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 cup fresh pineapple diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/8 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1 tsp. olive oil extra-virgin
- Salt to taste
For the trout:
- 4 portions rainbow trout or salmon fillets, about 600 grams in total
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
For the salsa:
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the salsa ingredients. Season with salt and stir well. Cover the salsa and let sit at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator until serving.
For the fish:
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season fish with salt and pepper. Add the fish fillets to the fry pan, skin side down.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then carefully flip over and fry for another 2 minutes. For thicker fillets fry for 1 minute longer or until fish is cooked.
- Transfer the trout to plates and serve with pineapple salsa.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: