With a fresh taste and tropical feel, this Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa makes an excellent light summer meal.
I don’t know about you, but the weather in my part of the world has been pretty hot this summer. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, I love the summer season. And because summers are so short, I like to fill them up with as many outdoor activities as I can. This means there isn’t much time for cooking, so I really appreciate meal ideas that will make my days easier. That’s why I love recipes like this pan fried rainbow trout with pineapple salsa. Not only is this recipe simple and quick to make, it makes a flavourful, light and refreshing dish.
The star of this dish is really the pineapple salsa. I got the recipe for this salsa on the blog Two Peas and their Pod. I found the flavourful combination of sweet, spicy and crunchy ingredients addictive. The fresh cilantro and lime juice really enhance the salsa and make it so delicious. Though it can take a little time to get the ingredients for the salsa chopped up, it can be prepared up to a day ahead and refrigerated. Once the salsa is done, pan frying the trout fillets takes only a few minutes.
This meal is simple and quick to make and can easily be prepared on a weeknight. You can easily double this recipe if you want to serve it to a larger group of people or if you would like to use the salsa for a dip with chips. The salsa is also great with fish tacos or grilled meats. To complete this meal, you can serve the rainbow trout and pineapple salsa with rice, beans or veggies. Enjoy!
Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa
This Pan Fried Rainbow Trout with Pineapple Salsa has a fresh taste and tropical feel, it makes an excellent light summer meal.
- For the Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/8 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped jalapeño pepper seeded
- 1 clove small garlic minced
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
For the trout:
- 4 portions of rainbow trout or salmon fillets
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- For the salsa:
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the salsa ingredients. Season with salt and stir well. Cover the salsa and let sit at room temperature or chill in the refrigerator until serving.
For the fish:
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season fish with salt and pepper. Add the fish fillets to the fry pan, skin side down.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then carefully flip over and fry for another 2 minutes. For thicker fillets fry for 1 minute longer or until fish is cooked.
- Transfer the trout to plates and serve with pineapple salsa.