Turn simple ingredients into a healthy and delicious dinner with this easy recipe for a moist and flavourful One Pan Roast Chicken.
This one pan chicken recipe makes it easy to get dinner on the table with minimal mess.
One of my favorite things when making roast chicken is that the leftovers can be used to make so many other dishes. I often use the leftovers to make chicken quesadillas, this Creamy Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup and this Black Bean Soup.
How to Make it
There is something so comforting about the aroma of a roasting chicken dinner. Luckily, making this tasty dish using a whole chicken couldn't be easier.
All you need to make this one pan chicken dinner are a few staple ingredients and some herbs for a delicious meal that everyone will enjoy.
Please see the ingredients amounts at the end of this post.
- Whole chicken
- Cloves of garlic
- Fresh thyme and rosemary - dry can be used if fresh isn't available.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chicken broth - or water
You only need a few minutes of hands on time to make this simple recipe. Follow these steps for delicious and tender chicken.
- The first step is to cut up the whole chicken into pieces so that it cooks quicker.
- To add flavour to the chicken, add some onion wedges, celery and carrot sticks and some smashed garlic cloves to the pan.
- Chop a lemon into four pieces and add it to the pan along with some fresh herbs (or dry, if fresh isn't available). For this recipe, I used thyme and rosemary, but you can use what you prefer.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and veggies and sprinkle everything with salt, pepper and some paprika. Finish by pouring some chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. That's it, so quick and easy!
The chicken comes out moist, tender and flavourful, I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and use the pan sauce as a sort of gravy. Or you can serve this roast chicken with this tasty Sweet Potato with Feta Cheese dish.
For a quick and easy low carb dinner, serve this chicken with mashed cauliflower and steamed veggies or salad on the side.
Cooked chicken can be stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 4 days. If you would like to store it for longer make sure to wrap it well and store it in a food storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Shawarma Kebabs
- Sticky Hoisin-Soy Chicken Drumsticks
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken Breasts
- Baked Thai Chicken Wings with Peanut Sauce
One Pan Roast Chicken
- 1 chicken approx. 1.5 kg in total
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 baby carrots or 2 large carrots or more
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves large garlic peeled
- ½ lemon
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-2 tsp. dried Paprika
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Remove excess fat and the giblets from the chicken cavity.
- Cut chicken into pieces and place into pan.
- Wash and chop all your vegetables.
- Scatter the vegetables, lemon and herbs around the chicken pieces.
- Using the side of a chef's knife smash the garlic cloves and scatter in the pan.
- Pour chicken broth into pan.
- Roast chicken for 40 to 45 min. Pierce a chicken thigh with the tip of a knife to check for doneness. If juices run clear, chicken is cooked. If not, cook chicken longer.