Last Updated on July 18, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Turn simple ingredients into a healthy and delicious dinner with this easy recipe for a moist and flavourful One Pan Roast Chicken.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
The smell coming out of my kitchen while this chicken was in the oven was so good. I’m not sure why, but there is something about the smell of roast chicken that makes me feel so content.
How to make a One Pan Roast Chicken
First cut up the whole chicken in pieces so that it cooks quicker. To add flavour to the chicken, add some onion wedges, celery and carrot sticks and some smashed garlic cloves to the pan.
Chop a lemon into four pieces and add it to the pan along with some fresh herbs (or dry, if fresh isn’t available). I used thyme and rosemary, but you can use what you prefer.
Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and veggies and sprinkle everything with salt, pepper and some paprika. Finish by pouring some chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. That’s it, so quick and easy!
The chicken comes out moist, tender and flavourful, I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and use the pan sauce as a sort of gravy.
For a quick and easy low carb dinner, serve this chicken with mashed cauliflower and steamed veggies on the side.
My favourite part of making roast chicken is that you can use the leftovers to make so many other dishes. I used the leftovers to make chicken quesadillas. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
One Pan Roast Chicken
- 1 chicken approx. 1.5 kg in total
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 baby carrots or 2 large carrots or more
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves large garlic peeled
- 1/2 lemon
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-2 tsp. dried Paprika
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Remove excess fat and the giblets from the chicken cavity.
- Cut chicken into pieces and place into pan.
- Wash and chop all your vegetables.
- Scatter the vegetables, lemon and herbs around the chicken pieces.
- Using the side of a chef’s knife smash the garlic cloves and scatter in the pan.
- Pour chicken broth into pan.
- Roast chicken for 40 to 45 min. Pierce a chicken thigh with the tip of a knife to check for doneness. If juices run clear, chicken is cooked. If not, cook chicken longer.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: