Turn simple ingredients into a healthy and delicious dinner with this easy recipe for a moist and flavourful One Pan Roast Chicken.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
There is something so comforting about the aroma of a roasting chicken dinner. The smell coming out of my kitchen while this chicken was in the oven was so good it had me salivating in anticipation.
My favourite part of making roast chicken is that you can use the leftovers to make so many other dishes. I love using the leftovers to make chicken quesadillas, this Creamy Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup and this Black Bean Soup.
How to Make a One Pan Chicken Dinner
Making a tasty chicken dinner using a whole chicken couldn't be easier. All you need are a few staple ingredients and some herbs for a delicious meal that everyone will enjoy.
- Whole chicken
- Cloves of garlic
- Fresh thyme and rosemary - dry can be used if fresh isn't available.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chicken broth - or water
First cut up the whole chicken in pieces so that it cooks quicker. To add flavour to the chicken, add some onion wedges, celery and carrot sticks and some smashed garlic cloves to the pan.
Chop a lemon into four pieces and add it to the pan along with some fresh herbs (or dry, if fresh isn't available). I used thyme and rosemary, but you can use what you prefer.
Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and veggies and sprinkle everything with salt, pepper and some paprika. Finish by pouring some chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. That's it, so quick and easy!
How to Serve it
The chicken comes out moist, tender and flavourful, I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and use the pan sauce as a sort of gravy. Or you can serve this tasty Sweet Potato with Feta Cheese dish as a side to this roast chicken.
For a quick and easy low carb dinner, serve this chicken with mashed cauliflower and steamed veggies or salad on the side.
One Pan Roast Chicken
- 1 chicken approx. 1.5 kg in total
- 2 stalks celery
- 8 baby carrots or 2 large carrots or more
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves large garlic peeled
- ½ lemon
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-2 tsp. dried Paprika
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Remove excess fat and the giblets from the chicken cavity.
- Cut chicken into pieces and place into pan.
- Wash and chop all your vegetables.
- Scatter the vegetables, lemon and herbs around the chicken pieces.
- Using the side of a chef's knife smash the garlic cloves and scatter in the pan.
- Pour chicken broth into pan.
- Roast chicken for 40 to 45 min. Pierce a chicken thigh with the tip of a knife to check for doneness. If juices run clear, chicken is cooked. If not, cook chicken longer.