This homemade Apricot and Almond Biscotti with White Chocolate Drizzle has just the right amount of crunchiness and a perfect balance between fruit and nut.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
The holiday season is upon us and I just can’t believe that it’s that time of year again, how is it possible for a full year to pass by so quickly? I do love the holiday season and the kids are always so excited and happy to help. My favourite part of the holidays is all the baking we get to do, I love to plan all the cookies and bars that will be part of my annual dessert tray.
I have a list of sweets that are a must every year, such as my mother’s Baklava, Pecan and Lime Sugar Cookies and these Hazelnut and Almond Crescents. Biscotti is also a must, though with all the variations possible I like to change it up a bit every year.
Last year, I made these amazing Pistachio and Cranberry Biscotti, they’re the best biscotti I have ever tasted and I always receive so many compliments on them. So I knew that for this year I would have to include an equally delicious biscotti on my platter.
Apricot and Almond Biscotti
To make the biscotti a bit different from the ones I made last year, I decided to mainly stick to the same recipe but change the fruit and nut to dried apricots and toasted almonds. I kept the orange juice and zest in the recipe since it adds so much flavour and added a bit of almond extract. I finished them off with a white chocolate drizzle which adds an extra touch of sweetness.
The biscotti taste wonderful, with just the right amount of crunchiness and a perfect ratio between fruit and nut. The white chocolate drizzle makes them a little more special but is completely optional as this biscotti is delicious with or without it. Enjoy!
Apricot and Almond Biscotti:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole almonds toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. pure almond extract
White Chocolate Drizzle:
- 1/4 cup chopped white chocolate
- t tbsp. heavy cream or half and half cream
For the Apricot and Almond Biscotti:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Remove enough zest from one large orange to make 1 tsp. set aside.
- Squeeze the orange to obtain 2 teaspoons of orange juice. In a microwaveable bowl, combine the chopped apricots with the orange juice and microwave for about 40 seconds. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment), beat the butter and orange zest with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar for about 2-3 minutes on medium speed until butter is fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts, beat to incorporate.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour, baking powder and salt beating until combined.
- Add the apricots and almonds and mix until the ingredients are incorporated into the batter, do not over beat.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using your hands shape each dough into a log. Pat the dough so it’s about two inches wide.
- Place logs onto lined baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotate the tray and bake for another 11 to 12 minutes or until logs are light golden brown and beginning to crack on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place one biscotti log at a time onto a cutting board and using a sharp serrated knife, slice the logs on a diagonal into ½ to ¾-inch-thick slices.
- Return the sliced biscotti, cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until pale golden, flip the biscotti and bake for approximately 7 minutes more.
- Transfer the biscotti onto a rack and let cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
For the White Chocolate Drizzle:
- Combine the chopped white chocolate and cream in a small microwaveable dish. Microwave at 50% intensity in short bursts of time (about 20 seconds), stirring between each time until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Let cool a couple of minutes and using a fork drizzle the white chocolate on top of the cooled Biscotti.
- Store in an airtight container.