This recipe for homemade Apricot and Almond Biscotti with White Chocolate Drizzle has just the right amount of crunchiness and a perfect balance between fruit and nut.
The holiday season is upon us and I just can't believe that it's that time of year again, how is it possible for a full year to pass by so quickly?
My favourite part of the holidays is all the baking we get to do, I love to plan all the cookies and bars that will be part of our annual dessert tray.
I have a list of sweets that are a must every year, such as my mother's Baklava, Chewy Ginger Cookies and these Hazelnut and Almond Crescents. Biscotti is also on the list, though with all the variations possible, I like to change it up a bit every year.
Last year, we made these amazing Pistachio and Cranberry Biscotti, they're the best biscotti we have ever tasted and always receive so many compliments on them. So I knew that if we were going to change the biscotti recipe, it would have to be for one that is equally delicious.
To make the biscotti a bit different from the ones I made last year, I decided to mainly stick to the same recipe but change the fruit and nut to dried apricots and toasted almonds.
I kept the orange juice and zest in the recipe since it adds so much flavour and added a bit of almond extract. I finished them off with a white chocolate drizzle which adds an extra touch of sweetness.
The biscotti taste wonderful, with just the right amount of crunchiness and a perfect ratio between fruit and nut. The white chocolate drizzle makes them a little more special but is completely optional as this biscotti is delicious with or without it.
How to Make Apricot Almond Biscotti
Here's an overview of the ingredients and directions for making these apricot and almond biscotti. You can see the ingredient amounts and full directions in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder and salt
- Whole almonds
- Dried apricots
- Orange zest and freshly squeezed orange juice
- Unsalted butter
- Pure vanilla extract and almond extract
- Start by making the biscotti dough. Once the dough is prepared, divide it and shape it into two logs. Each log should be about two inches wide.
- Place the logs on a parchment-lined baking sheet, keeping them well spaced apart. Bake the logs for approximately 25 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time for even cooking.
- Remove them from the oven and let the biscotti logs cool on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes before slicing the logs on the diagonal.
- Lay the biscotti flat on its side on the baking sheet and bake a second time. Flip the biscotti over halfway through the baking time to ensure that both sides are perfectly golden.
- Transfer biscotti onto a rack and let cool.
- To make the white chocolate drizzle, combine the white chocolate and cream and microwave in short bursts of time until the chocolate has melted completely. Using a fork, drizzle the white chocolate on top of the completely cooled biscotti.
Apricot biscotti is delicious served with a hot cup of coffee or tea for dunking in. You can also serve biscotti with a glass of Vin Santo (sweet wine).
Biscotti can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Biscotti can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, store biscotti in an airtight container with wax or parchment paper in between the layers. Thaw the biscotti overnight in the refrigerator or leave them at room temperature for a couple of hours.
More Favourite Cookie Recipes
- Espresso Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- Holiday Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies
Apricot and Almond Biscotti with White Chocolate Drizzle
Apricot and Almond Biscotti:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole almonds toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
White Chocolate Drizzle:
- ¼ cup chopped white chocolate
- t tablespoon heavy cream or half and half cream
For the Apricot and Almond Biscotti:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove enough zest from one large orange to make 1 tsp. set aside.
- Squeeze the orange to obtain 2 teaspoons of orange juice. In a microwaveable bowl, combine the chopped apricots with the orange juice and microwave for about 40 seconds. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment), beat the butter and orange zest with the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar for about 2-3 minutes on medium speed until butter is fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts, beat to incorporate.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each addition.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour, baking powder and salt beating until combined.
- Add the apricots and almonds and mix until the ingredients are incorporated into the batter, do not over beat.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using your hands shape each dough into a log. Pat the dough so it’s about two inches wide.
- Place logs onto lined baking sheet, spacing them 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotate the tray and bake for another 11 to 12 minutes or until logs are light golden brown and beginning to crack on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place one biscotti log at a time onto a cutting board and using a sharp serrated knife, slice the logs on a diagonal into ½ to ¾-inch-thick slices.
- Return the sliced biscotti, cut side down on the baking sheet and bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until pale golden, flip the biscotti and bake for approximately 7 minutes more.
- Transfer the biscotti onto a rack and let cool completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
For the White Chocolate Drizzle:
- Combine the chopped white chocolate and cream in a small microwaveable dish. Microwave at 50% intensity in short bursts of time (about 20 seconds), stirring between each time until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Let cool a couple of minutes and using a fork drizzle the white chocolate on top of the cooled Biscotti.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Store biscotti in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. It can also be frozen for up to three months. To freeze biscotti, store them in an airtight container with wax or parchment paper in between layers of biscotti. Thaw biscotti overnight in the refrigerator.