Last Updated on November 16, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my affiliate disclosure for more details.
This easy recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies makes deliciously thick, tender and soft cookies that will stay chewy for days.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This is our favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I love the way these Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies bake up with beautiful crinkly tops, a slightly crisp exterior and a chewy interior.
My kids often request we make them and they are always appreciated as a sweet treat by friends and family.
How to Make Soft and Chewy Cookies
The recipe for these chewy cookies is adapted from Anna Olson. She adds a bit of cornstarch to her recipe so the cookies come out with a tender and chewy centre and stay soft and chewy for days after having baked them.
This recipe is easy and only requires basic ingredients. There's also no need to chill the dough before baking the cookies, so you can prepare and bake the cookies in one shot.
I like to use a cookie scoop for even sized cookies but if you don't own one, you can use a tablespoon. The cookies do spread a bit so make sure to space them out on the baking sheet.
My kids think these are the best chocolate chip cookies. And though they're absolutely delicious, I think adding ½ cup of chopped toasted pecans to the batter along with the chocolate chips would make these homemade cookies better than any chocolate chip cookie you could buy at a bakery.
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies can be made ahead and frozen for up to three months. Make sure to wrap them well and put them in an airtight container to preserve their freshness. They can be thawed overnight in the refrigerator.
We plan on leaving a plate of these cookies with a tall glass of milk for when Santa comes around. Enjoy!
More Delicious Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Espresso Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- Fudgy Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Powdered Sugar Almond Cookies
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter slightly softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-¼ cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter with the brown and granulated sugars until smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape bottom of bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt to creamed butter mixture and beat until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir until just mixed in.
- Drop scoops (about 1 tablespoon) of dough onto your baking sheet, spacing cookie dough about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake on the centre rack of your oven for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges.
- Let cookies cool for a couple of minutes on the sheet before moving them to a rack to continue cooling.
- Let unsalted butter soften just enough so that you can make an indent in it with your finger. If the butter gets too soft your cookies will spread and result in flat and crispier cookies.
- When measuring your flour, make sure to spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it. Do not scoop it out directly of the bag with your measuring cup.
- The cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
This recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies was originally published in December 2013. I’ve updated the post as well as the recipe details and have included new photos.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: