This recipe yields delicious thick, tender and chewy chocolate chip cookies that will stay chewy for days.
This is my favourite chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe. It’s from Anna Olson and she adds a “secret” ingredient, cornstarch, to make the cookies chewy rather than crisp. The great thing about this recipe is that the cookies remain chewy for days after having baked them.
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (180C).
- Cream together softened butter, brown and granulated sugars until smooth, about 2 min. Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Add in flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt, beat just until combined then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat and drop one tablespoon of dough onto your baking sheet, repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 in (5 cm) apart.
- Bake on the centre rack of your oven for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges.
- Let cookies cool for a couple of minutes on the sheet before moving them to a rack to continue cooling.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
The cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.