This chocolate chip cookie recipe yields deliciously thick, tender and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies that will stay chewy for days.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies was originally published in December 2013. I’ve updated the post as well as the recipe details and have included new photos.
This is our favourite Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. They’re often requested by my kids and are always appreciated as a sweet treat.
About this Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
This tasty cookie recipe was just slightly adapted from Anna Olson. She adds cornstarch to the ingredients in her recipe so the cookies come out with a soft chewy centre and stay chewy for longer after having baked them. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require any chilling before baking. I like to use a cookie scoop for even sized cookies but if you don’t own one, you can use a tablespoon. I love the way these Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies bake up with beautiful crinkly tops, a slightly crisp exterior and a chewy interior.
My kids think these are the absolute best chocolate chip cookies just the way they are. And though they’re absolutely delicious, I think adding 1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans to the batter along with the chocolate chips would make these homemade cookies better than any chocolate chip cookie you could buy at a bakery. One day I will try them that way for sure, but for now I’m just happy to bake a simple cookie that my kids really enjoy.
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies can be made ahead and frozen, just wrap them well and put them in an airtight container. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator. We plan on leaving a plate of these cookies out with a tall glass of milk for when Santa comes around.
- ¾ cup unsalted butter slightly softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Cream butter with the brown and granulated sugars until smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape bottom of bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt to creamed butter mixture and beat until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir until just mixed in.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop scoops (about 1 tablespoon) of dough onto your baking sheet, spacing cookie dough about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake on the centre rack of your oven for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges.
- Let cookies cool for a couple of minutes on the sheet before moving them to a rack to continue cooling.
- Let unsalted butter soften just enough so that you can make an indent in it with your finger. If the butter gets too soft your cookies will spread and result in flat and crispier cookies.
- When measuring your flour, make sure to spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it. Do not scoop it out directly of the bag with your measuring cup.
- The cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week.