This easy Anna Olson recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies makes deliciously thick, tender and soft cookies that will stay chewy for days.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
If you love chewy chocolate chip cookies, then these are the cookies for you! These cookies are simple to make and so delicious. They bake up with a beautiful crinkly top, slightly crisp exterior and a soft and chewy interior.
How to Make Soft and Chewy Cookies
The recipe for these Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies is adapted from Anna Olson. She adds a bit of cornstarch to her recipe so the cookies come out with a tender and chewy centre and stay soft and chewy for days after having baked them.
This recipe is really easy and only requires basic ingredients. There's also no need to chill the dough before baking the cookies, so you can prepare and bake the cookies in one shot.
- Unsalted butter - use butter that has softened to the point you can just make an indent in it with your finger. Using butter that is too soft will make your cookies spread in the oven.
- Brown and granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Bittersweet chocolate chips - regular or mini. You can also use milk chocolate chips if that's what you prefer.
Tip: Make sure to fluff the flour with a fork or small whisk before you measure it. Spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it. Scooping it directly out of the bag with your measuring cup will pack the flour in your cup and yield too much flour.
- Preheat your oven and line two baking sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Cream the butter with the brown and granulated sugars until smooth. This should take about 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape the bottom of bowl.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt to creamed butter mixture and beat until combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just mixed in.
- Drop about 1 tablespoon of dough onto your baking sheet. Since the cookies will spread a bit, make sure to space the cookies about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake on the centre rack of your oven for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are just golden around the edges. If your oven runs hot, make sure to check the cookies earlier.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving them to a rack to continue cooling.
My kids think these are the best chocolate chip cookies just the way they are. I think adding 1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans to the batter along with the chocolate chips would make these homemade cookies better than any chocolate chip cookie you could buy at a bakery. If you agree, check out these Chocolate Walnut Cookies and these Nutella Hazelnut Brownies.
Tip: I like to use a cookie scoop for nicely shaped, even sized cookies. But if you don't own one, you can use a tablespoon to measure out the cookie dough.
How to Serve
Serve these cookies still slightly warm from the oven or at room temperature with a glass of milk, tea or coffee.
How to Store
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week. They can also be made ahead and frozen for up to three months. Make sure to wrap them well and put them in an airtight container to preserve their freshness. Thaw frozen cookies overnight in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Cookies
- Holiday Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Espresso Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- Powdered Sugar Almond Cookies
- Italian Amaretti Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter slightly softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- Cream butter with the brown and granulated sugars until smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape bottom of bowl.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.
- Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt to creamed butter mixture and beat until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir until just mixed in.
- Drop scoops (about 1 tablespoon) of dough onto your baking sheet, spacing cookie dough about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake on the centre rack of your oven for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are golden around the edges.
- Let cookies cool for a couple of minutes on the sheet before moving them to a rack to continue cooling.
- Let unsalted butter soften just enough so that you can make an indent in it with your finger. If the butter gets too soft your cookies will spread and result in flat and crispier cookies.
- When measuring your flour, make sure to spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it. Do not scoop it out directly of the bag with your measuring cup.
- The cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week. They can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
This recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies was originally published in December 2013. I’ve updated the post as well as the recipe details and have included new photos.