Complete your cookie tray with these soft, sweet and flavourful Chewy Ginger Cookies made with molasses as well as ground and candied ginger.
This recipe for Chewy Ginger Cookies has been updated with new pictures and I adjusted the recipe to include some chilling time.
These Chewy Ginger Cookies have to be one of our favourite cookie recipes, we have been making them for a few years now and they’re always a big hit with adults and children alike. We look forward to making them every year so that we can include them on our cookie trays during the holiday season.
About these Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies
These cookies are easy to make, have a slightly crunchy exterior from rolling each ball of cookie dough in granulated sugar, but are soft and chewy inside. The original recipe for these cookies is from Fine Cooking, I love how they include crystallized ginger in their recipe. I modified the recipe a bit by reducing the amount of ground ginger, and adding some cinnamon and a touch of ground cloves. I used both granulated and brown sugar instead of only granulated sugar because I like the way brown sugar compliments the flavour of the spices and molasses in this cookie. I recommend you chill the cookie dough for at least 45 minutes before making them to make sure the dough doesn’t spread too much and that you are left with thin crispy ginger cookies. Unless of course, that is what you want. For maximum freshness, baked cookies should be wrapped well and frozen if you are making them ahead of time.
Find more delicious cookie and dessert recipes perfect for the holiday season here. Enjoy!
- 2-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup extra granulated sugar for rolling the cookies in
- In a bowl, combine the flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until blended, set aside.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars on medium-high speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, molasses, and crystallized ginger; beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended and the dough is well mixed.
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for approximately half an hour to an hour.
- Line two sheet pans with nonstick baking liners (silpat) or parchment paper.
- Position a rack in the middle of your oven and then preheat it to 350°F.
- Pour approximately 1/3 cup granulated sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Using a number 50 cookie scoop, scoop the dough and shape into balls.
- Roll each ball into the granulated sugar to coat. Set the balls 2 inches apart on the prepared sheet pans.
- Bake until the cookies are puffed and the bottoms are lightly browned, about 9-10 min.
- The cookies should feel dry to the touch but still soft inside.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cool, store the cookies in airtight containers.