Last Updated on August 26, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Tender, moist and lemony, these scrumptious Blueberry and Lemon Scones are perfect for afternoon tea or a weekend treat for you and your loved ones!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
There is something about blueberries and lemon, they just go so well together, so when I came upon this scone recipe from the Pastry Affair blog, I just had to try it. I'm so happy to have had a small break today so that I could make these incredibly delicious Blueberry and Lemon Scones.
How to Make Them
The recipe for these scones is simple and straightforward. You can make them in your mixer or mix them by hand. Start by adding your dry ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer and combine the ingredients.
Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix until the pieces of butter are the size of peas.
Whisk the liquids together and pour the mixture into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix until the dough just comes together and then add the blueberries. Avoid over-mixing or the blueberries could burst.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape the dough into a circle. Pat the dough so it’s about one inch thick and cut into eight even portions.
Place the scones on a lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle the glaze on scones once they're at room temperature.
These Blueberry and Lemon Scones are tender, moist and lemony. Since there is little sugar in the scones, the lemon glaze helps to sweeten them up.
If you prefer your baked good less sweet then you could eat them plain or maybe with some butter or clotted cream. Enjoy!
More Delicious Scone Recipes
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox:
Blueberry and Lemon Scones
For the Scones
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 cup half & half cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh blueberries picked over and rinsed
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons cream, half & half or milk
Blueberry and Lemon Scones
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in the bowl of your stand mixer, and with the mixer on low (fitted with the paddle attachment) combine the dry ingredients.
- Add in the cubed butter and mix until the pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- Whisk egg and vanilla extract into the cream and pour the mixture into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix until the dough comes together and then add the blueberries. Do not over-mix or the blueberries will burst.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and using your hands shape the dough into a circle. Pat the dough so it’s about one inch thick.
- Cut into 8 even portions and place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 22 to 25 minutes until scones are lightly golden brown. Transfer scones to a wire rack to cool.
- While the scones are cooling you can prepare the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, lemon juice and cream in a small bowl.
- Adjust the glaze to the desired consistency by adding more cream or milk.