These Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Phyllo Tartelettes are filled with caramelized onions and then topped with a savoury goat cheese filling. They make a fantastic appetizer!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Are you looking for something to serve as an appetizer for an upcoming party? If you enjoy the taste of goat cheese and caramelized onions then you will love these tartlets!
The shells that hold the sweet caramelized onions and savoury goat cheese filling are made out of phyllo dough. Phyllo gives these tartlets a nice crunch and contrasts the creamy filling. And as a bonus, the phyllo dough makes these a beautiful appetizer.
Let the tartlets cool slightly before serving. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to five days. Heat leftover tartlets in a low-temperature oven until the filling is warm. Enjoy!
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Phyllo Tartelettes
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter plus 3-4 Tbs. for making phyllo cups
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups diced onions
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 454 grams goat cheese
- 2 1/2 tbsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- In a wide heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and stir them so that they are well coated with the butter and oil. Cook the onions stirring often so that they cook evenly. When the onions begin to brown, add the sugar and salt and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook the onions for approximately 15-20 minutes or until they’re brown (a deep caramel colour). Remove the caramelized onions from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the goat cheese, eggs, cream, and thyme. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag or into a plastic bag with a corner cut off.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt about 3-4 tablespoons of unsalted butter in the microwave.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo flat on your working surface and lightly brush it with melted butter or olive oil. Lay another sheet on top. Cut into 12 equal pieces and press phyllo dough into the cups of the mini muffin tins.
- Portion the cooled caramelized onions into the cups, filling them about halfway.
- Then pipe the goat cheese mixture over the onions, filling the cups almost to the top.
- Bake the tartelettes until the filling is set, about 16-18 minutes.
- Let the tartelettes cool for a few minutes, remove them from the muffin tin and enjoy!