If you love almonds and enjoy the taste of almond flavoured baked goods then you’ll love these easy to make Chewy Almond Marzipan Bars!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
What is Marzipan?
Marzipan is primarily made of finely ground almonds and sugar. It’s often used to make fruit shaped candy and decorations for cake. It can be readily purchased ready made and can be made from scratch.
I find baked goods made with marzipan paste irresistible and have been wanting to bake with marzipan for some time. So when I saw this recipe for Almond Bars, I knew that I could tweak the recipe and add marzipan and almond flour for even more almond taste.
How to Make Marzipan Cookie Bars
To make these almond cookie bars, I use both marzipan and almond flour. I bake them in a 9×13 baking pan lined with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides of the paper. This makes it easier to lift the bars out of the pan so that you can cut even slices. Including marzipan, almond flour and almond extract in the recipe ensures soft and chewy bars with the perfect amount of almond flavour. You could also make these almond marzipan cookies with a hint of citrus flavour. Just add half a teaspoon of grated lemon or orange zest to the batter.
The taste of almonds really shines through in these Chewy Almond Marzipan Bars. They make a delicious treat and are so irresistible that I had to share them with friends and family so I wouldn’t eat them all. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup marzipan
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. cream or milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 2 tbsp. icing sugar optional
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt, stir and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat on medium speed the butter and the sugar, until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the marzipan and beat until the marzipan has been incorporated into the butter and sugar mixture and no lumps remain.
- Add the egg and the almond extract and then beat until the batter is light and fluffy.
- Beating on low speed, add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated to the batter.
- Evenly press the dough into the bottom of the lined pan.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the cream (or milk) on top of the dough.
- Sprinkle the dough with the toasted slivered almonds and lightly press them into the top.
- Bake for 18 min, or until just barely beginning to colour around the edges. The top should be dry to the touch. Over-baking these will yield crunchy cookies.
- Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then using the overhang of the parchment paper, lift them out of the pan and put them on a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool, cut with a sharp knife into 18 pieces or more.
- If desired, dust them with a bit of powdered sugar.