These beautiful and easy to make Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Rosemary Biscuits are tender, moist and just loaded with delicious flavour.
These past couple of weeks have been crazy busy with work and life. I spent the past two Saturdays in class, a food photography class! It was amazing! The class was composed of a wonderful group of people and the instructor, Adrien Duey, a well-known food photographer, is not only incredibly talented but is a great teacher as well. It’s an amazing feeling to be learning about something from someone who is so passionate about what they do. I only wish I had more time to practice and experiment with all that I’m learning. What’s great is that as I practice my photography at home, I’m seeing my eldest (6 years old) take an interest in food styling and photography. She will often come and peek at what I’m doing and ask if she could help me. In fact, she styled the photo above. And as I write this post she is planning our next food photography project: Lemonade, her favourite beverage. So do keep an eye out for that post!
Ok, time to talk about these Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Rosemary Biscuits. First of all, these are some good-looking biscuits. Just look at the colour on them, beautiful! Second, they are loaded with flavour, combining the sweet potatoes with the savoury rosemary and Parmesan makes for some really delicious biscuits. Finally, they’re tender and moist, just the way they should be.
These Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Rosemary Biscuits come together pretty easily and quickly. I think the most important thing to remember when making them is to not overwork the dough, or you will end up with tough biscuits. They make a perfect side dish, I think they would be excellent with a roasted chicken dinner. Though they seem like typical fall food, I think sweet potatoes are good any time of the year!
If you make this recipe make sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I’d love to see your photos!
Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Rosemary Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 5 tbsp. cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1 cup sweet potato cooked and mashed
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. heavy cream or milk
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the Parmesan and rosemary and whisk again to incorporate the ingredients.
- Add in the cubed butter and using a pastry blender or your fingers blend the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- In a small bowl combine the buttermilk and sweet potato, whisk to blend and then add it to the flour mixture.
- Mix the ingredients until it all comes together, do not over-mix or your biscuits will be tough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead a few times just until the dough comes together and then pat into a circle about 1 1/2 inch high.
- Using a round, 2 inch wide cutter, (edge dipped in flour before cutting into dough) cut as many biscuits as you can, then take the scraps, reshape into a disk and cut again.
- Place the biscuits on the baking sheet.
- Once all the biscuits have been cut and placed onto the baking sheet, whisk the egg yolk and cream together in a small bowl and brush the tops (only the tops) of the biscuits.
- Bake in the oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve while still warm with butter.