This Southwestern flavoured Easy Black Bean Soup is super delicious, hearty and healthy. Make it with canned black beans for an easy one-pot meal.
Today I’m sharing one of my favourite soup recipes. I’m a big fan of soups, I think they’re perfect for lunch and dinner. I know that as long as I have some good quality boxed broths, canned beans and a few other staple ingredients, I can get a delicious and healthy meal on the table quickly.
This is such an easy black bean soup to make and can easily be made vegetarian or even vegan by using vegetable broth. Using canned black beans means this soup can be prepared quickly. Not only is this black bean soup super delicious but it’s good for you too. Did you know that black beans are naturally low in fat, high in fibre and protein and are a very good source of essential vitamins and minerals?
This soup can be puréed entirely for a smooth soup, or you can purée only part of the soup (that’s how I made it), or again just leave it as is. It’s delicious which ever way you choose to eat it. If you decide to purée some of it, I highly recommend adding a couple of tablespoons of fresh cilantro leaves along with the beans and veggies, the fresh cilantro adds so much flavour to the soup! This Easy Black Bean Soup can be made even better by topping it with a variety of delicious garnishes such as sour cream, shredded cheese, red onions, avocado, cilantro, and crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Easy Black Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions finely chopped (1-1/2 cups )
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped (about 1 cup )
- 3 cloves medium garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt reduce if using salted broth
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups canned black beans drained
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups broth, reduced sodium either chicken or vegetable
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice more to taste
- Options for Topping:
- finely chopped red onion
- chopped avocado
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- corn chips
- shredded cheese
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the red pepper, jalapeno and garlic.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables soften, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings,and then the drained black beans, stir the beans with the vegetables and seasonings.
- Add the stewed tomatoes with their juices, stir and then add 5 cups of broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Taste soup and adjust seasonings.
- If desired, you can purée part of the soup in your blender and return it to the pot. If soup is too thick, add one more cup of broth to thin out soup.
- Before serving, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice to the pot of soup.
- Serve with desired toppings!
Optional toppings are not included in the calculation of nutrition facts.