This Southwestern flavoured Easy Black Bean Soup is super delicious, hearty and healthy. Make it with canned black beans for an easy one-pot meal.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Today I’m sharing one of my favourite soup recipes. I think soups are wonderful because they’re perfect for lunch and dinner. I know that as long as I have some good quality boxed broths, canned beans and a few other staple ingredients, I can get a delicious and healthy meal on the table quickly.
Healthy Black Bean Soup
This Southwestern flavoured soup is so simple to make and can easily be made vegetarian or even vegan by using vegetable broth. Using canned black beans means this soup can be prepared quickly. Not only is this soup really delicious but it’s also good for you. Black beans are naturally low in fat, high in fibre and protein and are a very good source of essential vitamins and minerals.
Creamy Black Bean Soup
This soup can be puréed entirely for a creamy black bean soup, or you can purée only part of the soup (that’s how I made it), or again just leave it as is. It’s delicious which ever way you choose to eat it. If you decide to purée some of it, I highly recommend adding a couple of tablespoons of fresh cilantro leaves along with the beans and veggies in the blender, the fresh cilantro adds so much flavour to the soup!
This soup can be made even more delicious and interesting by topping it with a variety of garnishes. Here are some of my favourites:
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- red onions
- diced avocado
- chopped cilantro and
- crushed tortilla chips
At only 244 calories a serving (without the toppings), this soup is light and healthy, but still super satisfying and sure to become a favourite in your household. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium onions finely chopped (1-1/2 cups )
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped (about 1 cup )
- 3 cloves medium garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt reduce if using salted broth
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups canned black beans drained
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups broth, reduced sodium either chicken or vegetable
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice more to taste
- Options for Topping:
- finely chopped red onion
- chopped avocado
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- corn chips
- shredded cheese
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the red pepper, jalapeno and garlic.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring every few minutes, until vegetables soften, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add all the seasonings,and then the drained black beans, stir the beans with the vegetables and seasonings.
- Add the stewed tomatoes with their juices, stir and then add 5 cups of broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Taste soup and adjust seasonings.
- If desired, you can purée part of the soup in your blender and return it to the pot. If soup is too thick, add one more cup of broth to thin out soup.
- Before serving, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice to the pot of soup.
- Serve with desired toppings!