These easy, made from scratch, fudgy Nutella Hazelnut Brownies are super tasty, gooey, chewy and full of delicious toasted hazelnut pieces.
There are so many delicious treats you can bake with Nutella. One of my favourites are these Mini Nutella Swirl Cheesecakes. These cheesecakes are a fantastic treat but do take effort and time to make.
This recipe for Nutella brownies is much quicker and easier and really satisfies that need for nutellaey (that's a word, right 😉), gooey, chewy and fudgy brownies.
So if you're looking for a quick and easy fix to your comfort food craving, this easy homemade brownie recipe is the one for you!
The recipe for these simple fudgy Nutella Hazelnut Brownies is adapted from Ricardo's Nutella Brownies recipe.
How to Make Hazelnut Brownies
This recipe for hazelnut brownies requires only a few basic ingredients. Most of which are probably already in your pantry. Here's an overview of the ingredients needed. You can find the amounts in the recipe card below.
- All-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- Nutella or another chocolate hazelnut spread
- Brown sugar, can be substituted with granulated sugar
- Butter, you'll need unsalted, though semi-salted butter can be used.
- Vanilla extract
- Toasted hazelnuts. Walnuts are also delicious in these Nutella brownies.
The toasted chopped hazelnuts give the brownies even more hazelnut flavour and some added texture. If you don't like your brownies studded with nuts you can substitute with dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks.
I think you'll find these brownies are delicious with or without hazelnuts.
- You'll need an 8 by 8 baking pan to make these brownies. Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two parallel sides. This makes it easier to lift the brownies out of the pan once they're baked.
- Start by preheating your oven and placing a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Melt the butter and let it cool slightly while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients. Combine the flour and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine the Nutella, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Blend until the mixture is creamy. On low speed, add the flour alternating with the melted butter and mix until no traces of flour remain. Add the chopped hazelnuts and mix to incorporate the hazelnuts into the batter.
- Spread the brownie batter into the pan and bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes. If you like your brownies gooey then you will want to test with a toothpick and make sure there are still some wet crumbs. If you know your oven runs hot check the brownies 5 minutes earlier.
- Once they are baked to your liking, remove them from the oven and let the hazelnut brownies cool at least 15 minutes on a rack before lifting them out and slicing.
These brownies are delicious served on their own at room temperature or still warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Store Nutella Brownies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Brownies can also be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to three months.
If you're looking to indulge in some homebaked goods but are not in the mood for spending a lot of time in the kitchen, give these fudgy Nutella brownies a go, you'll be glad you did.
More Amazing Brownie Recipes
Nutella Hazelnut Brownies
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter cooled slightly
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped toasted* hazelnuts * see note below on how to toast hazelnuts
- Place a rack in the centre of your oven and preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan or line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on all sides.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl combine the flour and salt.
- In the bowl of your mixer, combine the eggs, vanilla, Nutella and brown sugar. Mix on medium speed until the mixture is creamy.
- Beating on low speed, add the flour, alternating with the melted butter to the creamed mixture and beat until there are no traces of flour.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts and stir until they are well distributed in the batter.
- Spread the brownie batter in the baking pan and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with some still wet and gooey crumbs.
- Let brownies cool, then slice with a sharp knife into 16 pieces.
- Toast the hazelnuts in a 350ºF oven for about 10 minutes or until they begin to colour. Wrap the hazelnuts in a kitchen towel and rub them in the towel to remove the loose skins. Let cool and chop coarsely.
- Using parchment paper to line the baking pan and leaving an overhang on opposite ends makes it easier to lift the bars out of the pan for cutting into even portions.
- There are approximately 235 calories in 1 serving of this recipe for Nutella Hazelnut Brownies.