Last Updated on September 1, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Baby spinach, crunchy almonds, red onions, and clementines bursting with sweet juice are combined to make this refreshing, easy and nutritious Spinach and Clementine Salad.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I just love this Spinach and Clementine Salad. In fact, I have become addicted to it and make it as much as I can when fresh clementines are in season.
The baby spinach combined with the soft goat cheese, the crunchy almonds, the sweet clementines (or mandarins) and the sharp flavour of the red onions make this salad extra tasty. And since clementines are popular during the holiday period, I find this salad perfect for serving during the winter and holiday season.
Ingredients for Spinach and Clementine Salad
What’s really great about this spinach based salad is that it’s made with only a handful of simple to find nutrient-rich ingredients. Here are the ingredients needed:
- Baby spinach, though regular will work if you can’t get your hands on baby spinach.
- Clementines, though mandarins and oranges would also work.
- Almonds, I use Marcona almonds in this recipe but regular blanched almonds will do.
- A small red onion.
- Goat cheese or you can also use feta cheese.
Since this spinach salad is packed with flavourful ingredients, all you need is a simple vinaigrette to dress it with. The dressing is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Here are the ingredients for the salad dressing:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Pure apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- If desired, you could also add a touch of crushed garlic to the dressing.
All of the complementing flavours and contrasting textures of these ingredients come together to form a delicious and healthy salad.
Because this salad only has a few ingredients, it’s also quick to make which means you’ll find yourself making it more often than other salads.
This salad will serve four people as a starter or a side. If you are having it as a main, there will probably only be enough for 2 to 3, depending on your appetite. Simply double the salad and dressing ingredients to feed a larger group. Enjoy!
More Spinach Salad Recipes
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Spinach and Clementine Salad
For the Salad:
- 5 cups packed baby spinach washed
- 4-5 clementines peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup unsalted toasted Marcona almonds (or regular almonds) coarsely chopped
- 1/4 small red onion sliced into thin slivers
- 2 tbsp crumbled soft goat cheese more to taste
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. pure apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- For the dressing, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and whisk until the dressing has emulsified. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, top the baby spinach with the clementines, red onion, almonds, and goat cheese. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss well or serve the dressing on the side.