Baby spinach, crunchy almonds, red onions, and clementines bursting with sweet juice are combined to make this refreshing, easy and nutritious Spinach and Clementine Salad.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I just love this Spinach and Clementine Salad. In fact, I have become addicted to it and make it as much as I can when fresh clementines are in season.
The baby spinach combined with the soft goat cheese, the crunchy almonds, the sweet clementines (or mandarins) and the sharp flavour of the red onions make this salad extra tasty.
Since clementines are popular during the holiday period, I find this salad perfect for serving during the winter and holiday season.
How to Make it
What's really great about this spinach based salad is that it's made with only a handful of simple to find nutrient-rich ingredients.
Because this salad only has a few ingredients, it's also so easy and quick to make which means you might just find yourself making it more often than other salads!
- Baby spinach, though regular will work if you can't get your hands on baby spinach.
- Clementines, though tangerines, mandarins and oranges would also work.
- Almonds, I use Marcona almonds in this recipe but regular blanched almonds will do.
- A small red onion.
- Goat cheese or you can also use feta cheese.
All of the complementing flavours and contrasting textures of these ingredients come together to form a delicious and healthy salad.
Since this spinach salad is packed with flavourful ingredients, all you need is a simple vinaigrette to dress it with. The dressing is easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. Here are the ingredients for the salad dressing:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Pure apple cider vinegar
- Honey (maple syrup can also be used)
- Salt and pepper
- If desired, you could also add a touch of crushed garlic to the dressing.
Start by making the dressing and setting it aside. I like to make my salad dressings in small mason jars. I find it's handy for storing leftover dressing and it's also convenient since you can give the jar a good shake before pouring the dressing on the salad!
Rinse and dry the spinach, place it in a large salad bowl or platter and then scatter the clementine segments onto the salad along with the slivered red onion, almonds and crumbled goat cheese. When ready to serve, dress the salad with the reserved salad dressing.
How to Serve
This salad will serve four people as a starter or a side. If you are having it as a main, there will probably only be enough for 2 to 3, depending on your appetite. Simply double the salad and dressing ingredients to feed a larger group.
If you have leftover spinach and happen to own a juicer, give this delicious Pineapple Spinach Juice a try, it's one of the most popular recipes on this blog!
More Spinach Salad Recipes
Spinach and Clementine Salad
For the Salad:
- 5 cups packed baby spinach washed
- 4-5 clementines peeled and segmented
- ¼ cup unsalted toasted Marcona almonds (or regular almonds) coarsely chopped
- ¼ small red onion sliced into thin slivers
- 2 tablespoon crumbled soft goat cheese more to taste
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. pure apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- For the dressing, combine the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and whisk until the dressing has emulsified. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, top the baby spinach with the clementines, red onion, almonds, and goat cheese. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss well or serve the dressing on the side.