This Chickpea Broccoli Salad is a delicious, healthy and gluten-free salad made with simple savory ingredients and tossed in a tangy lemon and olive oil dressing. Perfect for meal prepping, this salad can be made ahead of time and enjoyed throughout the week.
Looking for simple recipes that can be prepared and made ahead of time? You'll find this broccoli salad with chickpeas makes a great dish to include in your weekend prep ahead meal plans.
Perfect for healthy weekday lunches, not only is this salad easy to make, but it's also wholesome. Broccoli and chickpeas are high in dietary fiber, calcium and potassium.
How to Make Broccoli Salad with Chickpeas
This salad is easy to make, doesn't require a lot of prep work and can be ready in 30 minutes! This delicious recipe is naturally gluten-free and you can also make this a vegan broccoli and chickpea salad by omitting the Feta cheese or substituting with your favorite crumbly vegan cheese.
Here's an overview of the main ingredients and steps to making this simple chickpea salad. The ingredient amounts are available in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Raw broccoli florets - you can use a head of broccoli and chop it into florets or purchase a package of broccoli florets.
- Chickpeas - I like to use canned chickpeas. Simply drain and rinse under cold water.
- Red onion - can be replaced with green onions if you find the flavor of red onion too strong.
- Kalamata olives - pitted and sliced
- Feta cheese - omit if wanting a vegan salad.
- Fresh parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice - freshly squeezed
- Garlic clove - small
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
This salad is made by only lightly steaming the broccoli which makes it more tender than raw broccoli but keeps it still firm enough so it doesn't fall apart in the salad. The broccoli also remains a vibrant green color which makes it so much more appealing and appetizing.
- Chop the head of broccoli into florets and rinse under cold water.
- Steam the broccoli florets for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the steamer and set aside to let cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the olive oil and lemon vinaigrette by adding all of the salad dressing ingredients to a jar, shake well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the steamed broccoli florets, chickpeas, chopped red onion, olives, parsley and half of the crumbled Feta cheese.
- Add 3/4 of the dressing, toss well and taste. If needed, add the remaining dressing.
- Transfer salad to a large serving plate or salad bowl and top with remaining crumbled Feta cheese.
This broccoli and chickpea salad is inspired by mediterranean flavors, so feel free to add your favorite mediterranean ingredients.
- Chop a small red bell pepper and toss it in with the remaining of the ingredients.
- Include a few chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- You can also add toasted pine nuts, pistachios or sliced almonds to the salad. If nut allergies are a concern, you can add sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
- Add more fresh herbs. Fresh oregano or mint would also taste delicious with the other ingredients in this salad.
How to Serve
Serve this salad immediately after tossing it or store it in the refrigerator until you're ready to serve it.
Enjoy it as a main dish for lunch or as a healthy side dish for dinner. It would be delicious served as a side to these Kafta Kebabs, this Roast Chicken or with this Baked Rainbow Trout.
How to Store
Store any remaining Chickpea Broccoli Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You may need a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil to brighten up the flavors after a few days in the refrigerator.
More Delicious Salads to Try
Chickpea Broccoli Salad
- 4 cups raw broccoli florets
- 400 ml chickpeas drained and rinsed (approximately 1 2/3 cups)
- ¼ cup red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, washed, dried chopped
Olive oil Lemon Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 garlic clove, minced small
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Rinse broccoli florets and steam for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Remove broccoli from the steamer and set aside to let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the olive oil and lemon vinaigrette. Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a jar, shake well and set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, combine steamed broccoli florets, chickpeas, red onion, olives, parsley and half of the Feta cheese. Add 3/4 of the dressing, toss well and taste. If needed, add the remaining dressing. Top salad with remaining crumbled Feta cheese.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Avoid over steaming the broccoli by only steaming it for 5 to 7 minutes maximum. Remove broccoli from steamer to let it cool.
- Refrigerate remaining Chickpea Broccoli Salad in an airtight container for up to 5 days. A squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil will brighten up the flavors of the salad after a few days in the refrigerator.