Rainbow trout is a nutritious and delicious fish and cooking it couldn’t be easier. Here’s a healthy and simple recipe for Baked Rainbow Trout Fillet with a side of vegetables that can be prepared and cooked in under 30 minutes!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Even though I love to cook and would be happy to spend all day in the kitchen, the reality is life’s too busy for that. I need delicious and healthy meal options that can be prepared in just about 30 minutes and seafood is a great option for getting nutritious meals on the table quickly.
Best Rainbow Trout Recipe
This Baked Rainbow Trout Fillet with a side of veggies is an easy recipe that can be baked in the oven. This dish is healthy, light, flavourful and simple to make. What’s even better about this meal is that you can cook the fish and a side of vegetables all on the same baking sheet in the oven. It’s perfect for those days when you don’t have much time to cook.
How to Cook Rainbow Trout Fillet and for How Long?
Cooking rainbow trout fillets in the oven is easy. Start by preheating your oven to 425°F. If you are cooking the trout on its own, you can wrap it in foil or parchment paper to keep it moist. When cooking it with vegetables all that you’ll need to do is line the baking tray with foil or parchment paper. I check my trout fillets at 10 minutes, especially if the fillets are thinner and on the small side, to make sure I don’t overcook them. You know the trout is properly cooked when the fish flakes easily at the thickest part (use a fork or knife to check). If the trout doesn’t flake easily, return it to the oven and bake for a few more minutes before checking again.
What to Serve with Rainbow Trout Fillet?
In this recipe, I use asparagus, cherry tomatoes and zucchini to bake with the rainbow trout fillet. The asparagus actually takes about 5 minutes longer to cook than the trout does, so when getting your meal ready start with the asparagus. Choosing pencil-thin asparagus will ensure they cook quickly. Prepare the asparagus and bake them in the oven for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the vegetables and rainbow fish to the tray. Put the tray back in the oven and in just about 10 minutes you will have perfectly cooked trout and veggies!
More Side Options
Additional options for sides that cook or can be prepared quickly include whole-wheat couscous, it takes less than ten minutes to cook. I like to sprinkle some chopped pistachios onto the couscous just before serving. You can also serve it with a small side of orzo tossed in a pre-made pesto. And if you’re watching your carb intake you can simply serve it with a salad or additional veggies. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I’d love to see your photos!
- 1 bunch of pencil thin asparagus washed and tough ends trimmed
- 1 zucchini sliced into 1/2 rounds
- 15 cherry or grape tomatoes sliced half or 1 large tomato chopped into large dice
- 1 fresh rainbow trout fillet approximately 300g.
- 4 slices lemon
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- A few sprigs of fresh herbs such as thyme and oregano or dry if fresh isn’ available
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Start by washing and trimming the tough ends of the asparagus. Drizzle with about 1/2 tsp. of olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash and slice the tomatoes and zucchini, place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tsp. of olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Zest enough of a lemon to get about 1/2 tsp. of zest
- Take the trout fillet and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle with 1 tsp. of olive oil and sprinkle fish with salt, pepper, lemon zest and dry herbs (if using dry instead of fresh), gently rub the seasonings on the flesh of the fish.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, stir the asparagus and push them to the sides, place the fish (skin side down) in the middle and the tomatoes and zucchini around the fish. Top the fish with the lemon slices.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.