Rainbow trout is a nutritious and delicious fish and cooking it couldn’t be easier. Here’s a healthy and simple recipe for Baked Rainbow Trout Fillet that can be prepared and cooked in under 30 minutes!
Though I love cooking and baking and would be happy to spend all day in the kitchen, the reality is life is too busy. I need healthy meal options that I can prepare in just about 30 minutes and seafood is a great option for getting nutritious meals ready quickly. Take this baked rainbow trout fillet, it’s perfect for those busy days when you don’t have much time to cook. It’s healthy, delicious, light, flavourful and simple to make.
What’s even better about this meal is that you can cook the fish and vegetables all on the same baking tray in the oven. This way there’s no need to spend a lot of time cleaning up after dinner. I chose asparagus since it’s in season, with cherry tomatoes and zucchini to bake along with the rainbow trout fillet. The asparagus actually takes about 5 minutes longer to cook than the trout does, so when getting your meal ready start with the asparagus. Choosing pencil thin asparagus will ensure they cook quickly. Get the asparagus ready and bake them in the oven for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients to the tray. Put the tray back in the oven and in just about 10 minutes you will have perfectly cooked trout and veggies!
Did you know that couscous takes less than 10 minutes to cook? It’s makes a great side option with this meal, just follow the directions on the package. I served my baked rainbow trout fillet and vegetables over some whole wheat couscous with some finely chopped pistachios, but you can also serve it with wild (or any kind) of rice. And if you’re watching your carb intake you can simply serve it with the veggies. Enjoy!
Looking for more delicious fish recipes? All four of these healthy fish recipes can be prepared quickly and easily:
Baked Rainbow Trout Fillet
A healthy and simple recipe for Baked Rainbow Trout Fillet that can be prepared and cooked in under 30 minutes!
- 1 bunch of pencil thin asparagus washed and tough ends trimmed
- 1 zucchini sliced into 1/2 rounds
- 15 cherry or grape tomatoes sliced half or 1 large tomato chopped into large dice
- 1 fresh rainbow trout fillet approximately 300g.
- 4 slices lemon
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- A few sprigs of fresh herbs such as thyme and oregano or dry if fresh isn' available
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Start by washing and trimming the tough ends of the asparagus. Drizzle with about 1/2 tsp. of olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread on the baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile wash and slice the tomatoes and zucchini, place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tsp. of olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper.
- Zest enough of a lemon to get about 1/2 tsp. of zest
- Take the trout fillet and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle with 1 tsp. of olive oil and sprinkle fish with salt, pepper, lemon zest and dry herbs (if using dry instead of fresh), gently rub the seasonings on the flesh of the fish.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, stir the asparagus and push them to the sides, place the fish in the middle and the tomatoes and zucchini around the fish. Top the fish with the lemon slices.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.