Simple, fresh and flavourful ingredients make this Greek salad with Grilled Chicken one you’ll want to make over and over again!
I love eating salads in the summer, and this Greek salad with Grilled Chicken is a favourite of mine. The simple marinade used for the chicken adds tons of flavour and the result is tender and moist grilled chicken. With the addition of fresh vegetables, feta cheese and olives, all of the ingredients combine to make a delicious and healthy low calorie Greek salad.
I know this isn’t an authentic Greek salad, as a true Greek salad doesn’t contain any lettuce, or chicken for that matter. Nevertheless, this salad is delicious and full of Greek flavours! Only simple ingredients are needed to make this easy salad. And if you have a well stocked refrigerator and pantry, you may already have all the ingredients needed.
Marinating the chicken equals more flavour!
The recipe for this salad is adapted from Dave Lieberman’s recipe for Greek salad with oregano marinated chicken, you can find his recipe here. The flavourful grilled chicken that tops this salad makes it extra delicious and transforms this salad from a side to a main course meal. To maximize the flavour of the grilled chicken, make sure to marinate it at least of couple of hours before you grill it. You’ll see I’ve included a bit of honey to the chicken marinade, the honey gives the chicken an added layer of flavour and a beautiful colour.
If you are making this salad as a side you can omit the grilled chicken and serve with your choice of protein. Greek salad is delicious served with grilled fish or shrimp, steak or even with a side of chicken (use the marinade from this recipe for delicious chicken).
For the Grilled Chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove small garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. honey optional
For the Salad Dressing:
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove small garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 6 cups romaine lettuce (small head) rinsed, dried and chopped, or lettuce of your choice
- 2 mini cucumbers
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1/2 sweet pepper colour of your choice
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 16 Kalamata olives pitted
To marinate the chicken:
- In a non reactive container, combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, pepper, honey (if using) and chicken breasts.
- Rub chicken breasts with mixture, making sure they are well coated.
- Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
To prepare the dressing:
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in small bowl or jar and whisk well.
To grill the chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Grill the chicken about 6 minutes on each side, or until done.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
To assemble the salad:
- Wash and chop romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet pepper and onion. Place vegetables in bowl. Top with crumbled feta cheese and pitted olives.
- Add part of dressing to the salad reserving some dressing to drizzle onto chicken. Toss salad with dressing.
- Arrange salad on platter, top with sliced chicken and drizzle with a bit more of the salad dressing.
- Serve immediately.