Simple, fresh and flavourful ingredients make this Greek salad with Grilled Chicken one you'll want to make over and over again!Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
I love eating salads in the summer, and this Greek lettuce salad with Grilled Chicken is a favourite of mine. The delicious combination of fresh vegetables, feta cheese and olives, means this healthy low-calorie Greek salad is often on my menu.
Though this isn't an authentic Greek salad, as a true Greek salad doesn't contain any lettuce or chicken, this salad is loaded with traditional Greek ingredients and flavours.
How to Make Grilled Chicken for Greek Salad
Only simple ingredients are needed to make this easy salad. And if you have a well-stocked refrigerator and pantry, you may already have all the ingredients needed.
The recipe for this salad is adapted from Dave Lieberman's recipe for Greek salad with oregano marinated chicken, you can find his recipe here. The flavourful grilled chicken transforms this salad from a side dish to the main course.
The simple marinade used to flavour the chicken also helps to tenderize and keep the grilled chicken moist. To maximize the flavour of the grilled chicken, make sure to marinate it at least for a couple of hours before you grill it.
You'll see I've included a bit of honey in the chicken marinade. Honey gives the chicken an added layer of flavour and a beautiful colour.
Greek Salad Dressing
A Greek salad dressing is simple to make and requires basic ingredients:
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Small garlic clove
- Dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
To make the dressing, add all of the ingredients to a medium jar. Shake the jar well and top the salad with the dressing right before serving. Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator in a sealed jar.
More Favourite Summer Salads
Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
For the Grilled Chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove small garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon honey optional
For the Salad Dressing:
- 4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove small garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 6 cups romaine lettuce (small head) rinsed, dried and chopped, or lettuce of your choice
- 2 mini cucumbers
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1/2 sweet pepper colour of your choice
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 16 Kalamata olives pitted
To marinate the chicken:
- In a non reactive container, combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, pepper, honey (if using) and chicken breasts.
- Rub chicken breasts with mixture, making sure they are well coated.
- Marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.
To prepare the dressing:
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in small bowl or jar and whisk well.
To grill the chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Heat a grill to medium-high.
- Grill the chicken about 6 minutes on each side, or until done.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
To assemble the salad:
- Wash and chop romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet pepper and onion. Place vegetables in bowl. Top with crumbled feta cheese and pitted olives.
- Add part of dressing to the salad reserving some dressing to drizzle onto chicken. Toss salad with dressing.
- Arrange salad on platter, top with sliced chicken and drizzle with a bit more of the salad dressing.
- Serve immediately.
- To maximize the flavour of the chicken, make sure to marinate it at least of couple of hours before you grill it.