Watermelon and Feta Salad is the perfect summer salad. It’s incredibly refreshing and combines sweetness, saltiness and tanginess all in one dish.
A few summers ago, I tried my first watermelon and feta cheese salad and I’ve been hooked ever since. It may seem like an unusual combination of ingredients, but in fact, it’s makes for an incredibly delicious and refreshing salad. The combination of sweet watermelon, with the salty feta and tanginess from the lime dressing all in one dish makes this summer salad entirely addictive.
How to make this Watermelon and Feta Salad
I adapted the recipe for this Watermelon and Feta Salad from Nigella Lawson. She suggests to steep the red onions in the lime juice as you prepare the salad, I find this step really important as it mellows out the sharp flavour of the onions. But if you really don’t enjoy the taste of raw onions, you could omit them and use black olives as Nigella Lawson does in her recipe. To serve this salad to four people, you’ll need about 4 cups of cubed watermelon and one cup of cubed Feta cheese. The dressing for the salad is made by using the lime juice that was used to steep the red onions in and olive oil. Fresh mint add freshness to the salad, but if you don’t have any fresh mint on hand you could use fresh basil, though the taste will not be the same. This salad should be prepared shortly before you plan on serving it.
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 limes
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup cubed feta cheese
- 1/2 cup mint leaves packed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper to your taste
- Peel and thinly slice the onion, place in a small bowl.
- Juice the two limes and pour the juice over the sliced onions. Reserve.
- Remove the rind and chop the watermelon into even sized cubes (bite size is good).
- Chop the feta cheese (I like mine in small cubes).
- Wash the mint and chop coarsely.
- Assemble the salad by combining the watermelon, feta cheese, mint, olive oil and the lime juice with the onions.
- Toss the ingredients gently to combine, add ground black pepper to your taste.
Other delicious summer salads you might like: