This refreshing Watermelon and Feta Salad easily comes together in less than 30 minutes and is the perfect summertime dish. The combination of sweet, juicy, salty and tangy ingredients makes it entirely addictive.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
It may seem unusual to combine sweet watermelon with salty cheese and onions, but in fact, it makes for an incredibly delicious and refreshing dish that's just perfect for hot summer days.
How to Make it
This is a simple recipe requiring only a handful of ingredients, no cooking and less than half an hour to prepare. The recipe is adapted from Nigella Lawson's Watermelon, Feta and Black Olive Salad.
- Watermelon. You'll need a ripe watermelon for the best flavor.
- Feta cheese
- Red onion. If you don't enjoy the taste of raw onions or find them too overpowering you could use black olives instead, their salty and briny taste works really well in this salad.
- Fresh mint
- Fresh lime juice
- Olive oil
It's best to prepare this salad shortly before you plan on serving it. To make four servings, you'll need about 4 cups of cubed watermelon and one cup of cubed feta cheese. You'll also need about half a cup of mint leaves.
To mellow out the sharp flavour of the red onion slices, Nigella suggests steeping them in the lime juice as you prepare the salad.
Fresh mint adds freshness to this plate, but if you don't have any on hand you could use fresh basil, though the taste won't be the same.
Make the dressing with the lime juice that was used to steep the red onions and olive oil. Combine the cubed watermelon, feta cheese, red onions and mint in a bowl. Top with the dressing, toss and serve.
This salad doesn't keep well so you'll want to make sure you make just what you need.
For a vegan watermelon salad, you can leave the feta cheese out or use an alternative vegan cheese that crumbles.
If you like things spicy, a bit of diced jalapeño adds heat to this salad and goes fantastically well with the cool watermelon.
Watermelon and Feta Skewers
You could also use this recipe to make an appetizer in the form of watermelon and feta skewers.
After tossing the salad with the dressing, simply thread a chunk of watermelon followed by a mint or basil leaf and a chunk of cheese and repeat.
The skewers look really pretty but it does take some time to thread them.
How to Serve
Serve this salad chilled alongside grilled shrimp, fish, beef, chicken or pork. It's also delicious with these Kafta Kebabs.
I hope you'll give this easy summertime dish a try. I think you'll find it entirely addictive.
More Summer Salads to Enjoy
- Fattoush Salad
- Southwestern Grilled Shrimp Salad
- Lebanese Tabbouleh
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
Watermelon and Feta Salad
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 limes
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup cubed feta cheese
- 1/2 cup mint leaves packed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper to your taste
- Peel and thinly slice the onion, place in a small bowl.
- Juice the two limes and pour the juice over the sliced onions. Reserve.
- Remove the rind and chop the watermelon into even sized cubes (bite size is good).
- Chop the feta cheese (I like mine in small cubes).
- Wash the mint and chop coarsely.
- Assemble the salad by combining the watermelon, feta cheese, mint, olive oil and the lime juice with the onions.
- Toss the ingredients gently to combine, add ground black pepper to your taste.
- Serve as soon as possible.
- Fresh mint adds freshness to this salad. You could substitute with fresh basil but the taste will not be the same.
- Salad is best served right after making it.
- For a vegan watermelon salad, leave the feta cheese out or use an alternative vegan cheese.
This post was originally published on July 11, 2015. It has been updated with new content. Recipe remains unchanged.