I’m giving a favourite breakfast treat a healthy makeover with these Whole Wheat Quinoa Flour Pancakes. Topped with your favourite berries and pure maple syrup they make a delicious and nutritious breakfast.
Pancakes are one of my family’s favourite weekend breakfast treats. But to make sure they’re getting a wholesome breakfast, I like to make my pancakes using a combination of whole wheat and quinoa flour. Quinoa flour is high in protein and fiber and makes a nutritious alternative to white flour.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, these Whole Wheat Quinoa Flour Pancakes are quick and simple to make. They’re tender, wholesome and hearty without being heavy. Top them with your favourite berries and a bit of pure maple syrup to make a wonderful and tasty breakfast.
- 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cups quinoa flour
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds optional
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. light olive oil (or other light tasting oil) more for brushing skillet.
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Combine all dry ingredients in medium-sized bowl, whisk. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl whisk eggs, add buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Whisk wet ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and whisk to combine. Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a heavy non stick skillet to medium low, brush with a little oil.
- Measure out 1/4 cup batter and pour batter in skillet.
- Cook pancake until bubbles in the batter have burst and edges start to look dry, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip pancake and cook until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Brush skillet with oil and repeat until you have used up all the batter.
- Top pancakes with butter, berries of your choice and maple syrup.