Last Updated on November 20, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my affiliate disclosure for more details.
I'm giving a favourite breakfast treat a healthy makeover with these made from scratch Whole Wheat Quinoa Flour Pancakes. Topped with your favourite berries and pure maple syrup they make a delicious and nutritious breakfast.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Pancakes are one of my family's favourite weekend breakfast treats. But to make sure my kids are getting a wholesome breakfast, I make my pancakes using a combination of whole wheat and quinoa flour.
Quinoa flour which is made by grinding raw quinoa seeds into a fine powder is high in protein and fibre and makes a healthy alternative to white flour. Whole wheat flour isn't bleached or processed like all-purpose flour is and is higher in fibre and vitamins.
How to Make Healthy Pancakes from Scratch?
If you don't have quinoa flour at home you can make your own by grinding raw quinoa in a spice/coffee grinder until it is the consistency of a fine powder.
If you like, you can toast the quinoa in a dry skillet until lightly golden before grinding. This will enhance the nutty flavour of the quinoa flour. Just make sure to let the quinoa cool to room temperature before grinding.
To make the pancakes, add all of the dry ingredients (see the list of ingredients in the recipe card below) in a bowl and whisk to combine.
In another bowl whisk the eggs together, add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk to combine. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes before cooking.
To cook the pancakes, heat a heavy non-stick skillet to low-medium, brush with a little oil or butter. Measure out ¼ cup batter and pour the batter in the hot skillet.
Cook the pancake until the bubbles on the surface of the batter have burst and the edges start to look dry, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, these Whole Wheat Quinoa Flour Pancakes are quick and easy to make. This simple recipe yields fluffy, light and hearty pancakes.
Serve them with your favourite berries and a touch of pure maple syrup to make a tasty and healthy breakfast you and your kids will love!
More Breakfast Recipes
- Homemade Muesli
- Pear, Pomegranate and Pecan Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- Homemade Maple Pecan Granola with Dates
- Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I'd love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Whole Wheat Quinoa Flour Pancakes
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- In a second medium-sized bowl whisk eggs together, add buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk to combine. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat a heavy non-stick skillet to low-medium, brush with a little oil.
- Measure out ¼ cup batter and pour batter in skillet.
- Cook pancake until bubbles on the surface of the batter have burst and edges start to look dry, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip pancake and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Brush skillet with oil and repeat until you have used up all the batter.
- Top pancakes with butter, berries of your choice and maple syrup.
- Make your own quinoa flour by grinding raw quinoa in a spice/coffee grinder until it is the consistency of a fine powder. You can also toast the quinoa in a dry skillet until golden before grinding. This gives the quinoa a toasted nutty flavour. Just make sure to let the quinoa cool before grinding.