This delicious Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette makes a wonderful fall or winter salad. Serve this beet and orange salad
This Roasted Beet and Orange Salad is full of fresh ingredients that are vibrant and colourful. The sweet and tangy citrus vinaigrette used to dress the salad complements the earthy taste of the beets perfectly.
The contrasting flavours between the sweet and savoury ingredients make this salad so addictive. And the creaminess of the goat cheese and the crunchiness of the toasted hazelnuts give this salad so much texture.
How to Roast Beets
One way to speed up the process of making this salad is by roasting the beets and the hazelnuts the night before or the morning of the day you want to serve it.
To roast the beets, simply preheat your oven to 400°F. Remove the tops and roots of the beets, wash the beets well and drizzle them with a bit of a light tasting oil.
Wrap them individually in foil and roast the beet packages on a baking sheet until you can easily pierce the beets with a knife, about 45 minutes.
Carefully open the foil packages and let the beets cool. Once the beets are cool, remove the skins and cut the beets into small wedges.
Store the beets in the refrigerator if you're not making the salad on the same day.
How to Roast Hazelnuts
If you are using raw hazelnuts roasting them will help bring out their flavour and will make it possible to get their skins off.
The easiest way to roast hazelnuts is to spread them on a baking sheet and roast them in a 350°F oven for approximately 10 minutes or until their skins begin to split and the hazelnuts begin to turn lightly golden. Remember to stir the hazelnuts mid-way while roasting.
Remove the hazelnuts from the oven, let them cool just slightly and place them in a clean dish towel, let them sit a minute and then rub them together to loosen their skins.
Assembling the Salad
Once you've roasted the beets and hazelnuts, all that will be left to do will be to wash the greens, segment the oranges and make the vinaigrette.
Top the salad off with the roasted beets and some chopped hazelnuts. Add the crumbled goat cheese. You could also use Feta cheese if you prefer it to goat cheese. Add the dressing and toss.
Other Special Occasion Salads
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with Citrus Tahini Dressing
- Pomegranate, Pear and Pecan Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Spinach Apple Cranberry Salad
- Spinach Clementine Salad
Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- 4 cups mixed spring greens washed and dried
- 2 oranges segmented
- 3-4 small beets roasted
- 1/2 cup toasted* hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp. orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash beets very well, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, rub them with the oil and wrap them in foil. Roast the beet package on a baking sheet in the oven until you can easily pierce the beets with a knife, about 45 minutes. Carefully open the foil package and let the beets cool. Once the beets are cool, remove the skins and cut the beets into small wedges. Set aside.
- Segment the oranges by slicing a bit off the top and bottom of the orange with a sharp pairing knife. Remove the skin and the pith of the oranges and then working over a bowl, cut between the membranes of the orange.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice, honey, salt and pepper and whisk until the dressing has emulsified. Set aside.
- Arrange the roasted beets and segmented orange pieces over the salad and then top with goat cheese and hazelnuts. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss well or serve the dressing on the side.