This delicious Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette makes a wonderful addition to a special meal.
I hope everyone has had a good week. I’m afraid mine was challenging and frustrating blog wise, first I spent last weekend making two recipes that didn’t turn out well, one was a real disappointment, the other after having spent considerable time making it was just so-so. Then after having successfully made something delicious and when I was just about finished with writing this post, I somehow managed to erase everything but the pictures and had to start the writing all over again. I’m thinking I may need a real nice holiday in a warm place (enough of the -30C already, yesterday it was -40C with the windchill!). I need some sunshine and warmth! Anyways, enough with my cold weather rant, let’s talk about this amazing salad.
There are so many things I love about this Roasted Beet and Orange Salad. All of the vibrant colours coming from the beets and oranges make this salad so beautiful. The citrus vinaigrette is a wonderful complement to the earthy taste of the beets and the creaminess of the goat cheese and the crunchiness of the hazelnuts give this salad so much texture. This is an excellent winter salad, perfect for an occasion where you want something special but want to keep things simple.
One way to speed up the process of making this salad is by roasting the beets and the hazelnuts the night before or the morning of the day you want to serve it. All that will be left for you to do is segment the oranges and make the vinaigrette. I really love goat cheese (you can probably tell that from the picture above), but you can always put less of it and if goat cheese isn’t your thing you can use Feta cheese instead. Red onions would be a good addition to this salad. Enjoy!
Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
A delicious Roasted Beet and Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette, toasted hazelnuts and creamy goat cheese.
- 4 cups of mixed spring greens washed and dried
- 2 oranges segmented
- 3-4 small beets roasted
- 1/2 cup toasted* hazelnuts roughly chopped
- 3-4 tbsp. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp. orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash beets very well, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, rub them with the oil and wrap them in foil. Roast the beet package on a baking sheet in the oven until you can easily pierce the beets with a knife, about 45 minutes. Carefully open the foil package and let the beets cool. Once the beets are cool, remove the skins and cut the beets into small wedges. Set aside.
- Segment the oranges by slicing a bit off the top and bottom of the orange with a sharp pairing knife. Remove the skin and the pith of the oranges and then working over a bowl, cut between the membranes of the orange.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice, honey, salt and pepper and whisk until the dressing has emulsified. Set aside.
- Arrange the roasted beets and segmented orange pieces over the salad and then top with goat cheese and hazelnuts. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss well or serve the dressing on the side.
*To toast the hazelnuts, spread them on a baking sheet and toast them in a 350°F oven for 8 to 10 min., stirring mid-way. Remove from oven, let cool and rub them together to loosen their skins.