Moist and flavourful, these Mini Cornbread Muffins make a great side to your main dish and are also delicious as a snack or breakfast on the go!
These Mini Cornbread Muffins with corn kernels are absolutely delicious! Cornbread definitely fits into the comfort food category and is great served as a side dish with a hot bowl of chili or soup on a cold day. It’s also makes a great appetizer or snack and is delicious for breakfast as well. Cornbread isn’t food that I grew up eating. In fact, I can’t remember having it before last year when I needed something to serve alongside my chili. Well, it was a hit and I’ve been making it regularly since then.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup grated jalapeño cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels fresh or canned, drained
- 2 tbsp. finely diced fresh jalapeño
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease the mini muffin tins with butter and dust with flour or line the muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, buttermilk and sugar.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Stir in the cheese and corn.
- Divide the batter in half, to one bowl add the diced jalapeño and cilantro, leave the other plain. If you prefer to make the entire recipe with the jalapeño and cilantro make sure to at least double the amounts to 2 tablespoons each.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean, about 11 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter on the side.