Moist and flavourful, these savoury Mini Cornbread Muffins with corn kernels make a great side dish and are also delicious as a snack or breakfast.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This recipe for Mini Cornbread Muffins was originally published in January 2014. I’ve updated the post as well as the recipe and included new photos.
Cornbread definitely fits into the comfort food category and is great served along side a hot bowl of chili, soup or a roast chicken. They are especially scrumptious served warm from the oven with a little dab of butter. These made from scratch Mini Cornbread Muffins combine just the right mix of ingredients for super moist, tender and flavourful cornbread muffins.
Cornbread Muffins with Corn
I added corn kernels to this recipe to accentuate the corn flavour and add more texture into the cornbread muffins. You can use canned corn (as I did), fresh or frozen corn to make these muffins. If using frozen corn, measure the amount needed then thaw and drain well before proceeding with the recipe. A bit of finely chopped jalapeño gives these muffins extra flavour with a bit of heat without being too spicy (make sue to keep the seeds out). I add some grated jalapeño cheddar cheese, but for less spicy muffins you can use regular or sharp (old) cheddar cheese. If you have some around, some fresh cilantro adds great flavour and makes these muffins extra savoury.
How to Make Cornbread Muffins from Scratch
This is an easy recipe that doesn’t require the use of a mixer. You’ll need to combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, give them a good stir then add the corn, cheese, jalapeño and if using, cilantro. These mini cornbread muffins bake up quickly and should be ready in about 10 to 12 minutes. This recipe makes approximately 44 mini cornbread muffins. Each mini muffin has 58 calories.
These Mini Cornbread Muffins are great all year long. During the colder months, they’re a delicious side to roast dishes, soups and chilis. And during the summer months they make great picnic food and a great side dish for barbecues. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe be sure to take a picture and share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg large
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels fresh or canned, drained
- 1 cup grated jalapeño cheddar cheese or a sharp (old) cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. finely diced fresh jalapeño optional
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro optional
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease the mini muffin tins with butter and dust with flour or line the mini muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a second bowl, add and an egg, lightly whisk it and add the buttermilk and oil. Whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed.
- Add the corn, cheese, jalapeño (and cilantro, if using). Stir just until mixed.
- Fill the muffin cups until 3/4 full. Repeat until you have used up the cornbread batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean, about 11 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter on the side.