Last Updated on July 12, 2020 by Sweet and Savoury Pursuits
Moist and flavourful, these savoury Mini Cornbread Muffins with corn kernels and jalapeño make a great side dish and are also delicious as a snack or for breakfast.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
These made from scratch Mini Cornbread Muffins combine just the right mix of ingredients for super moist, tender and flavourful cornbread muffins.
Cornbread definitely fits into the comfort food category and is great served alongside a hot bowl of chili, soup or a roast chicken. They are especially scrumptious served warm from the oven with a little dab of butter.
Cornbread Muffins with Corn and Jalapeño
I added corn kernels to this recipe to accentuate the corn flavour and add more texture into the cornbread muffins. You can use canned corn (as I did), fresh or frozen corn to make these muffins. If using frozen corn, measure the amount needed then thaw and drain well before proceeding with the recipe.
A bit of finely chopped jalapeño gives these muffins extra flavour with a bit of heat without being too spicy (make sure to keep the seeds out). I add some grated jalapeño cheddar cheese as well, but for less spicy muffins you can use regular or sharp (old) cheddar cheese. If you have some around, fresh cilantro adds great flavour and makes these muffins extra savoury.
How to Make Cornbread Muffins from Scratch
This is an easy made from scratch recipe that doesn’t require the use of a mixer. You’ll need to combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, give them a good stir then add the corn, cheese, jalapeño and if using, cilantro.
Spoon the batter into the paper-lined muffin tins. The mini cornbread muffins bake up quickly and should be ready in about 10 to 12 minutes. This recipe makes approximately 44 mini cornbread muffins and each mini muffin has 58 calories.
And during the summer months, they make great picnic food and a great side dish for barbecues. These muffins will stay fresh for about a week in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze them in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Enjoy!
More Delicious Sides and Snacks
- Baked Sweet Potatoes with Feta Cheese
- Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Rosemary Biscuits
- Roasted Grape Tomatoes
- Easy Spanakopita
If you make this recipe let me know how it went for you in the comment section below. I’d love to know if you made any variations to the recipe and how it worked out. And if you take a picture, share it with me on Instagram by tagging #sweetandsavourypursuits, I love to see your photos!
Mini Cornbread Muffins
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg large
- 1-1/2 cups corn kernels fresh or canned, drained
- 1 cup grated jalapeño cheddar cheese or a sharp (old) cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. finely diced fresh jalapeño optional
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro optional
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease the mini muffin tins with butter and dust with flour or line the mini muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a second bowl, add and an egg, lightly whisk it and add the buttermilk and oil. Whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed.
- Add the corn, cheese, jalapeño (and cilantro, if using). Stir just until mixed.
- Fill the muffin cups until 3/4 full. Repeat until you have used up the cornbread batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean, about 11 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter on the side.
- You can use canned corn, fresh or frozen corn to make these muffins. If using frozen, measure the amount needed, thaw and drain well before proceeding with the recipe.
- If you would like to make some of these plain, you can add half of the jalapeño and half of the cilantro to half of the batter and keep the other half without.
- This recipe makes approximately 44 mini cornbread muffins and each mini muffin has 58 calories.
This recipe for Mini Cornbread Muffins was originally published in January 2014. I’ve updated the post as well as the recipe and included new photos.
Subscribe to our mailing list to receive notification of new posts in your inbox: