These spiced oven-baked Sweet Potato Wedges with an optional Feta Cheese topping make a tasty and healthy side dish or snack.Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
These savoury sweet potato wedges are seasoned with a combination of spices and herbs and then baked in the oven until nicely browned with crispy edges and tender flesh.
Topped with a mixture of softened and spiced feta cheese, they make an addictive dish perfect for serving on the side of mains.
If taste alone isn't a good enough reason to make these spiced sweet potato wedges, then make them for their health benefits. Sweet potatoes are super nutritious. They are high in fibre and Vitamin A and are loaded with essential nutrients.
How to Bake Sweet Potato Wedges
These savoury sweet potatoes wedges are easy and quick to make. Start by peeling and cutting the sweet potatoes into wedges.
Place them in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add the spices and mix them well, making sure to cover all of the potato wedges with the oil and seasonings.
Spread the sweet potato wedges in a single layer onto a baking sheet and bake them in a 400°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
Though the feta cheese topping in this recipe is optional, it does add a tangy and salty contrast that is irresistible with the sweet potatoes.
To prepare the feta cheese topping, place a piece of feta in foil paper. When the sweet potato wedges are almost done, place the feta cheese in the oven and bake until it softens.
Once softened, combine the feta cheese with a touch of yogurt (or sour cream) and some dried oregano. You can also add a bit of cayenne or chilli flakes if you want to add heat to your topping.
What to Serve with Sweet Potatoes
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato, Parmesan and Rosemary Biscuits
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa
- Sweet Potato Muffins
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Feta Cheese
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes about 4 medium
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sumac optional
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces Feta cheese
- 1 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare a sheet of foil paper by folding it to hold the bloc of feta cheese. Place the cheese on the foil and set aside.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into wedges.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes wedges with olive oil, dried oregano, chilli flakes, sumac, salt and pepper.
- Spread sweet potatoes in a single layer onto baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the sweet potatoes and add the feta cheese (in the foil container) onto the baking tray. Bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes until potatoes are tender and nicely browned and the feta cheese has softened.
- Remove the baked Feta cheese from the tray place it in a small bowl and add the yogurt and oregano. Mix well. Serve cheese mixture on the side or top the sweet potatoes with it.
- These sweet potatoes wedges are on the spicy side, if you prefer your food less spicy, reduce the amount of chilli flakes or omit entirely.