This flavour packed vegetarian Southwestern Quinoa Salad is loaded with protein, fibre and is gluten-free. Perfect as a side for dinner or main for lunch!
I don’t know about you but I’m craving some serious sunshine. I find that by this time of the year I’ve often had enough of winter, unfortunately we are nowhere near the end. So to get my little bit of sunshine today, I decided to make this fabulous Southwestern Quinoa Salad. It’s filled with colourful veggies and the citrus dressing brightens up the salad and makes me feel like I’m absorbing some much needed sunshine!
This Southwestern quinoa salad has a great combination of textures, as well as sweet and salty flavours. It can be enjoyed as an accompaniment to another dish or as a main. It lasts several days in the refrigerator so you can easily make it on the weekend and keep some for your lunches. It’s also a great vegetarian meal as quinoa is an excellent source of protein. This salad also provides you with a good amount of fibre and is gluten-free.
I wrote this recipe the way I like to eat this salad, the ratio of quinoa to beans, vegetables and the feta cheese is the way I enjoy it. You may prefer less beans and more feta cheese or no cheese at all, it’s really up to you and depends on what you like. That’s what I find great about salad recipes, you can easily adapt them to suit your preferences.
If you love quinoa and are looking for something sweet to incorporate it in, take a look at these recipes: Cocoa Quinoa Puffs and Peanut Butter Squares, Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies, and these delicious Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels drained, canned or thawed frozen
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2 Tbs red onion minced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Rinse the quinoa thoroughly to get rid of its bitter coating.
- In a large saucepan, bring three cups of salted water to a boil.
- When the water boils add the quinoa, cover the saucepan and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed and then let sit covered for 10 minutes. Remove cover, fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare all of the other ingredients. Combine the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 a lemon, the olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, combine it with the black beans, corn kernels, diced red pepper, jalapeno, red onion, feta cheese and cilantro.
- Pour the lemon-lime dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least 1 hour to allow the flavours to meld.